I'm thinking about going as a professional photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong posting the fashion show in flickr even though they have bad lighting. It is not like I'll get a job as a fashion photographer.

But you might not get a job because of them. Professional portfolios need to be rock solid.

My Flickr is not a professional portfolio. I said I'm thinking about going professional. I ask for thoughts. I don't use my flickr to get a job. My backyard is not good looking to be photographed. Where I live, dslr prohibits in many places.

Steve5D, say whatever you want, I'm done arguing with you.

The days of a photographer handing over a printed portfolio to an editor and that being it are gone. Forever. Your resume is now your entire internet presence because what is the first thing a prospective client is going to do?

Google you. Everything is going to come up. Your Facebook, that Flickr, those drunk photos you uploaded, any tweets you've ever made, all of it. It's all out there for the world to see.

If there isn't something that you wouldn't take right now and slap it in front of a client and say, "This is what I do and who I am" then don't put it on the internet at all.

If you're planning on being a professional you need a professional web presence. All of it. That's just a matter of fact these days.

Did I say 'has no idea'? Let me check.

Nope. I said a different thing.

It would be so awesome if, just one time, someone would disagree with something I actually wrote.

You wrote, "He has only the vaguest idea what kind of camera the paper issued him." That is what you wrote. A man who has "only the vaguest idea" is basically the same an a man who has no idea. Sorry that I found your hair-splitting BS to be confusing. My apologies. I suppose he's like the cop who carries some kind of "pistol-thingy? Glock maybe? 9mm? Maybde a 40 S&W? I dunno,", or the race car driver who car has, "Some kind of a motor thingy under the hood. V-6? V-8 maybe?"

I've NEVER, ever, not one,single time, in over 38 years, met a professional, semi-pro,or part-timer photographer who did not know,EXACTLY, as in ex-act-ly, what camera model it was that he or she shot. Not. One. Man. Or. Woman. But whatever it was that you meant, my apologies. A professional photojournalist, some award-winning one with 20+ years of experience who only has a vague notion of what camera he shoots every day. Again...huh. I'm not buying that.

As to the OP, considering a career as a professional photographer, he knows he shoots Canon, and wants to maybe buy some Canon L lenses, so he knows he's a Canon shooter at least. I would tell him to focus on finding a small niche that is not being exploited; maybe something in the pet photography area, specializing in something that could be easier to get into than the whole generalist 'pro' area. I thought he did okay with the dog pics, and people LOVE their pets, and might pay for pet pics. I dunno...there are just sooooo many professional photographers these days that it seems like the whole field is just soooo over-loaded with guys with cameras that making any cash out of photography as a one-man business depends more on marketing, and sales, and one-to-one selling and salesmanship and relationship building than on photo-skill, or camera equipment kit and so on.

I see plenty of pro shooters here in my area, and across the USA who are only mediocre shooters, but who market the daylights out of their work and network-network-network, and seem to be doing pretty well. Great businessmen, average shooters. I think that's the balance needed--more marketing, and more sales skills, and greater ability to convince people to give them the business, than being a great shooter with a Canon or a Nikon kit full of great gear.

Last edited:
You can be a "pro" with a Canon Rebel and $200 in used glass.

However, so can EVERYONE ELSE.

You're up against competition from ridiculous amounts of people who had the same idea as you.

You're considering a career in what is considered one of the worst professions from a standpoint of likely success/financial gain.

Really... don't. :)

Oh and this thread has the word "professional" in the title, which means it'll go off the rails, spiral, will turn into a 12 page thread and get locked. Go ahead... prove me wrong. :)

You're up against competition from ridiculous amounts of people who had the same idea as you.

You're considering a career in what is considered one of the worst professions from a standpoint of likely success/financial gain.

Oh and this thread has the word "professional" in the title, which means it'll go off the rails, spiral, will turn into a 12 page thread and get locked. Go ahead... prove me wrong. :)

There. Everything you need to know in ONE, single, succinct post. Seriously techboy, manaheim just said about all there is to say to the young, aspiring pro with an as-yet-developing FLickr web profile. If you want another, more at-length article about going pro, read Ken Rockwell's brutally honest suggestions about getting a regular job, and doing photography on the weekends and after work, and so on.How to Become a Professional Photographer

As he says, "The only way to do this is to keep your real job and do photography on your own time." And "Jobs in Photography Pay Poorly
In 2010, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics documents that the median pay for photographers is $29,130 per year, or $14 per hour. "Median" pay means that half of photographers make less than this. You'd make the same as abus driver, day laborer, security guard or a local delivery route driver — and each of those jobs has ten times as many jobs available as there are for photographers."

However, if you realllllllly wanna "go pro", well...​

I was going to suggest - before I saw the rest of the posts on here - that you might want to start going thru your photos and thinking about which are your best, which are good, which are not so much. I'd thin out what you have posted publicly because it's true that if you try for any photography opportunity, you'll get googled in a heartbeat. And who's going to look thru that many pictures? probably not someone considering using any of your photos, they'd more likely want to see a relatively small sampling of your work.

I saw some of your events photos that I thought looked good or could be good with some adjustment/cropping, and liked some of your nighttime campus scenes - but that fashion show had some weirdo lighting, I'd think about scrapping those (not your originals, not from where you save everything, but from what's displayed publicly).

I think too it's necessary to work on evaluating your own work. I've been doing submissions to juried art exhibits in galleries and it's up to me to figure out what to submit - they don't critique my photos, either they accept my photos or they don't. The rest is up to me. It's great to get the emails that say one of my photos was accepted and to be able to see it on display or on the gallery's website; it's also up to me to figure out which didn't get accepted and why and how I can continue to improve.

You seem to keep trying so you could keep taking classes and learning and practicing and see where it takes you. I just wouldn't expect to walk right into an existing job somewhere as a photographer, and it will probably take time to build up your photography skills (which may or may not realistically develop into more than a hobby someday).

From what I've read coming from the OP so far, I'm not sure what his intentions are.

If you'd like to know whether or not to persue the path of becoming a professional photographer, that's up to you alone. If that's the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing at night - go for it. There's lots to learn and even more to practice. As many have stated, competition is harsh especially in the low to mid pro range while the pay is mediocre. If you really want to "make it", then get ready to compete with the best of the best. Consider going to university to study photography in conjunction with communication design e.g. - because simple courses will not be sufficient. Most important: have a plan B up your sleeve, a degree is going to help you there.

On the other hand, if you'd like to know if you're ready to turn pro: no, not even close. That's based upon your work displayed on your flicker account. Yes, you've stated that your flicker is not representative - but on what other grounds should other users answer your question then? Experienced users have given you lots of valuable input in this thread. It might be advisable to drop your defensive attitude and esteem what you've been given - even if it's not what you've hoped for. Think about offering your services to schools e.g - group shots and portraits for the yearbook are well within your capabilites imho. Advertise to take pictures of pets in peoples homes. Look for niches, start small and work it from there. You'll get a feel of the stress involved with a client and even better: you're getting paid to shoot. With experience you'll notice where skill is holding you back and where the hardware is. Small jobs will provide you with the money needed to upgrade bit by bit. That does not make you a full time pro, but you're no longer hobbyist either. And that's a pretty cool feeling.

Last edited:
Derrel, you've been busted going off half-cocked, and since I am sick and tired of being barked at be people who simply will not read I am gonna break it down for you:

I said 'has only the vaguest idea' which implies, with no ambiguity or wiggle room, 'has a vague idea' which likewise implies 'has an idea'. That is the exact opposite of the phrase you used which was 'has no idea'. You're wrong, end of story. Complete, exactly, backwards. Of course you'll never admit it, but it's there in black and white for anyone who cares to read.

Lest you think I am simply splitting hairs, I point out that there is a world of difference between a vague idea and no idea. No idea lets you spin your stupid analogies about cops carrying "I dunno, pistol thing?" which are wildly inaccurate. There's a world difference between knowing it's a Glock and how to use it, and being able to rattle off the model number. There's a world of difference between knowing it's an 8 cylinder Ford motor, and being able to quote the exact model number.

The point is that my acquaintance has a "Canon 1 something" issued him by the paper. Perhaps that uniquely identifies the camera. Neither he nor I know or care whether there's a whole line of Canon 1s or whether there are several generations, or what. He uses it in manual only, whether he uses the meter or not I do not know. He's obviously used tons of cameras over the years and has simply gotten past caring about more than a few basic operations. His job is taking pictures, not dicking with cameras.

Being able to rattle off model numbers is not a distinguishing mark of a professional. I know because I have a counter-example, and you only need one to prove this particular point. I don't care how many pros you've talked to that can rattle off model numbers, they are irrelevant to the point which is: not every professional knows or cares about exact model numbers.

To demonstrate the point I only need to show one. There will, no doubt, be confusion about existential versus universal quantifiers (hi, 480sparky) when you think about this, because most people have trouble with them. That's ok, that's normal, just think it through slowly and you'll be fine.

This quote from the film "Hero" seems apropos:

I have just come to a realization! This scroll by Broken Sword contains no secrets of his swordsmanship. What this reveals is his highest ideal. In the first state, man and sword become one and each other. Here, even a blade of grass can be used as a lethal weapon. In the next stage, the sword resides not in the hand but in the heart. Even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from a hundred paces. But the ultimate ideal is when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains.

Last edited:

There. Everything you need to know in ONE, single, succinct post. Seriously techboy, manaheim just said about all there is to say to the young, aspiring pro with an as-yet-developing FLickr web profile. If you want another, more at-length article about going pro, read Ken Rockwell's brutally honest suggestions about getting a regular job, and doing photography on the weekends and after work, and so on.How to Become a Professional Photographer

As he says, "The only way to do this is to keep your real job and do photography on your own time." And "Jobs in Photography Pay Poorly
In 2010, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics documents that the median pay for photographers is $29,130 per year, or $14 per hour. "Median" pay means that half of photographers make less than this. You'd make the same as abus driver, day laborer, security guard or a local delivery route driver — and each of those jobs has ten times as many jobs available as there are for photographers."

However, if you realllllllly wanna "go pro", well...​

BTW, that's about $7K more a year than garbage truck drivers.

I have no desire to be a paid professional. I'd like to develop professional quality skills but do it as a full time job? Hell no.

I make too much money doing what I do now. I'd have to take a giant pay cut to do photography full time. I am happy keeping it as a fun hobby.

I have a friend with a degree in photography. Super talented woman. Takes beautiful photos. The best job she has gotten to date is working for the hospital taking pictures of newborns. Honestly I admit to being so far from that level that being a pro isn't even on my radar but I am a graphite artist..and a lot of my experience in that realm is similar to the realm of photography, from what I can tell anyway. Its tough and the competition is fierce and for what you have to do or go through, the pay just isn't there. Now if you absolutely love it, great, but really don't hold any expectations that you are gonna get rich. I work a full time job and draw on the side. I work to support my hobby basically...if I get a piece sold or a commission out of the deal, even better. A lot of people I know in the photography and art world do the same. Honestly, the portfolio, as everyone has said, is key. We live in a high tech world and if you are interested in pursuing a career in photography get your crappy pictures off the net and only post your best..you have to sell yourself. I don't put every drawing I do up for inspection..I also agree that if you want to pursue this you need a professional website. I don't for my art because I am just a small town local artist. If I wanted to get known..the webpage would be done.

Honestly, you need to set goals. By professional what field? Portraits...sports...wildlife? What's your niche? Where do you want to take your photography? I am new so don't know you or what you have done but I have looked at your flickr account and its all over the place.It shows you are diverse and willing to photograph anything but, as you openly admit, they aren't what you would have in your portfolio. Problem with that is that you advertise your account. Anybody can see it and I think those photos would take away from any good you had in your portfolio.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the OP isn't coming back. He got opinions he didn't want, so he left.

It happens...

I said 'has only the vaguest idea' which implies, with no ambiguity or wiggle room, 'has a vague idea' which likewise implies 'has an idea'.
Statement 1: He has only the vaguest idea about what camera he uses.
Statement 2: He has an idea about what camera he uses.

:raisedbrow: Nope, I'm not buying it! But what do I know, English is after all my third language.

Last edited:
Nursing is a good field.

I'm guessing the OP isn't coming back. He got opinions he didn't want, so he left.

It happens...

Huh, you want another fight? Let's hope the Jedi Bunny doesn't lock this thread.

A "fight"? What in the Hell are you talking about?

You asked what people thought about you trying to go pro. People told you what they thought.

Almost without exception, you were told you're not ready.

You made excuses for bad photographs, even going so far as to say it was a "bad track". That's laughable, considering that you got some very nice shots at that track. I guess it's only a "bad track" sometimes, right? What track was that, anyway?

Basically, you were expecting everyone to coddle you and tell you that you should go for it. Well, you probably need to start wrapping your head around the fact that you're simply not at a stage where turning pro should even be a remote consideration. Nothing we have to view indicates that you're ready. Oddly, though, you don't want us to form our opinions based on what's out there for us to see.

You're not ready to be a professional. Right now, you shouldn't even be thinking that far ahead. You need to be learning.

Photographically speaking, if you were thrown into a pool, you'd be unable to swim...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back