Image Help

j_c

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone recommend some photoshop tutorials or what I can do to make my images look better? I am just starting out and I feel like my images are missing something editing wise and not sure what I need to fix. Some examples are below. Any other critique is welcome as well

11165310_549640225174000_439462834212128819_n.jpg 11258068_541349392669750_6804528458758029714_n.jpg 11216523_540449926093030_3223807517303526818_o.jpg

Your photos are missing good light.
Light quality and direction are what make photos 'pop'.
Fill light, using flash or reflectors, helps make subjects a bit brighter than the background. That separation using light is what 'pop' is all about.
If your subjects have to squint, or if they have dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes), the light quality and direction are poor.

Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Photographers

Strobist Lighting 101
Flash Photography Techniques - Tangents

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like you have an instinct for good pictures. You just need a bit more skill in using light and composition. Perhaps zoom in on the family group and zoom out on the little girl in combination with more pop from better light.

They could also use some good post-processing.
Sometimes Nature and equipment doesn't allow good enough lighting.

Others have offered some nice advice on lighting.

The first image (group image) is a bit over-exposed. You've got a lot of dead-space on the right and the subjects look a bit small (also, I think they are squinting -- I try to avoid having subjects facing the sun specifically because of the tendency to squint.) Shooting with a longer focal length (even if you have to stand back farther) will help.

Your name on the photos is a bit too prominently placed. If you want a watermark or logo on an image, consider increasing the transparency (decrease opacity) and moving it to a corner.

If you are interested in specifics

#1 -
way too much space
a bit too bright and his foot pointed out is just a killer
warm a bit and darken the periphery

familylll.jpg

too much space on the sides, a bit orange and needs a bit of brightening, imo

kid.jpg

#3 has just way too much going on in all directions and all colorful distractions.
Her eyes are in the shade, bright colors all over.
This would take a lot of work and a higher res image to make too much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back