Image hosting websites

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm familiar with Flickr and 500px and the NatGeo yourshot site - but what else is there?

I m curious because Flickr seems to be down a lot, 500px I certainly don't feel I'm good enough for yet, and NetGeo yourshot only allows x amount of uploads per week which can perhaps be limiting.

Any other suggestions would be awesome!

Is a facebook page worthwhile just for uploading images? I know they compress and shrink images, but enough to warrant not using it?

Thanks! :)

I've been using Smugmug since 2006. Smugmug is family owned, it is rarely down, customizable, it has a sales & print component which supposed to work quite well and it is easy to talk to a Smugmug person. But it isn't free.

I've been using pixieset.com and it's good. It has a more modern interface, great with mobile, and the basic account of 3 gigs is free.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with them.

Look at Terms & Conditions on the sites so you know what you're agreeing to allow the website to do with your photos.

I usually watch for (and won't use it) if a site wants to sell users' photos as stock (or other purposes) for a one time payment for unlimited usage from now on (so the site can sell and resell and keep making money for years).

Often just by posting your photos on the site the Terms may allow them to take your photos and to redistribute, sublicense, etc. etc. to other parties or websites and on and on.

The safest way to host images on-line is your own website. You have complete control of all the images. Check to see if your ISP offers webspace!

Most reactions

Back