Image quality settings?

govnamac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been using my d100, basically for just snapshot type pics. I've just used it on the "fine" setting. If I want to do some tweaking of the pics with photoshop, is it better to set the camera to the "tiff" setting, or is "fine" ok?

If the D100 is anything like my 'ol D1 then the tiff setting is just a cruel joke. The record time is stupid and I could not find a whole lot of image quality impovements. JPEG fine works fine. I have a slight upgrade to the D1H that records RAW. That option is key.

jpeg compression is extremely minor in camera. In fact the settings are something like 99 for Fine, 97 for normal, and 95 for average, [out of 100]. (not exact numbers but close). When I post photos for my web use I use 80, and see no detail loss (unless I save twice, which is basically 60) So yeah, I agree with craig, go with fine, or raw, and avoid everything else.

edit: wanted to add that the difference between fine and raw modes are anything but image quality. and is a whole nother topic :)

RAW is good for making adjustments after the fact. You can change saturation better and even change your exposure if you want to in the RAW editor. It's also uncompressed data from your camera's sensor so the image quality is "better".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back