Image Sensor Cleaning Question - DX Format - Please Help

JeremyMcG

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but as technology improves and new products arrive, well - things change.

I --NEED-- an image sensor cleaner for my Nikon D5200. I've heard horror stories about this process, and I'm looking for the best kit to use to clean a DX sensor and one that won't cause me to ruin anything.

This is for what I --think-- are grease spots on the sensor and not just random dust.

What can I get - where can I get it - that will be user friendly and do the best job possible? Also, my eyes aren't the greatest, so one with a loupe would be great.

I've used Visible Dust products for years with no issues. They make different cleaning fluids for both dust and oil.

Just make sure you get the 1.6x swabs as you have a crop sensor.

Don't worry about the horror stories. You REALLY have to try hard to screw up cleaning a sensor.

Exactly what Sparky said! In fact, since you never really clean the actual sensor, it is all but impossible to mess up. What you're actually cleaning is the low-pass filter, immediately in front of the sensor. This is usually made out of mineral glass or a similar material, so as long as you don't get in there with a carbide scriber, you won't really hurt anything.

I second his recommendation for Visible Dust products as well; they're all I've used since day one of digital photography.

Why do you think it's oil/grease and not simply dust? That could a sign of a mechanical issue.

ive been using my finger and the end of my shirt for a while now with good results.
don't forget the canned air to get the dust out first. :allteeth:

:abnormal:

ive been using my finger and the end of my shirt for a while now with good results.

No, dude - top rack of the dishwasher, and remember the jet dry. If it's REALLY stubborn crap you can hit lightly with 440 sandpaper, first.

Seriously - I got one of these a while back and't been fine for my D40.
Digital Survival Kits | Photographic Solutions

Darn it, snowbear beat me to it!

Since I have one for my day job, I use a Hilti TE905 with a chisel-point bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back