Impersonal

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently gotten into on-location portrait photography. I have been using SmugMug and Bayphoto as a means of getting the photographs to the clients. While they seem happy with this arrangement it feels really impersonal to me. I would love to offer them packages with custom frames etc. but worry about the extra cost and the apparent reflection of that cost on the prints. An 12 x 18 print that costs 30.00 would suddenly cost $90.00 +/- which makes it a harder sell.

My thought was to leave everything as it is on SmugMug and call that the "gift" prints. This would be for friends/relatives that are interested in making a purchase. But then again I would be showing two dramatically different prices... that is bad.

For the clients I could order the prints, have them professionaly framed, and then meet with them in person.

All of this is kind of new to me but just handing them a business card and telling them their password so they can order prints just sounds uncaring.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have 2 thoughs on this.

1- It's the way the US is going, and maybe the industrialized nations as well. People are used to giving up personal service, because thats what other areas of shopping are comming too. Discount stores and online shopping. Now the airlines. People are dumbing down to personal service in their daily routine. And as it becomes the norm. It then creeps into photography which for the most part was considered a personal service. But thats even being invaded by all the online services available.

2- No, its not right. But its what the general population is comming to expect. There are people who still want and demand it. But its more and more being associated with special events or premium services.

I understand your feelings about this. For this year, once the gallery is up (I dont use smugmug, but something similar) I will be meeting with my clients with my laptop, where I can show them how to log on, how to order the prints, etc etc. I also will go over the paper choices and album types at that time. Then I can walk away and leave knowing they are comfortable with the process and I can have more 1 on 1 contact.

I also have the images shipped to me so I can add a personal thank you, check to make sure they are correct (even pro labs like Bay can make mistakes) and then I deliver them in person when I can.

Just an idea for you.

Some photographers are getting away from prints altogether (or at least as much as they can).

I was at a seminar last year, and one photographer showed us how they took prints right off of their 'price list'. Instead, everything they featured was a finished product and they all had fancy names.

For example, the cheapest thing was called 'Desk Art'. It was an 8x10, in a frame and came with a metal easel.
Any 'prints' they sell, come with frames. Actually, they had the prints laminated so that the frames didn't require glass. They had something called 'collections' which was either 6 or 9 photos put on canvas or mounted, then hung as a collection.

They are a big of a higher end studio...but the point is that they don't 'cheapen' their product by selling mere prints for $20-$50. Everything they sell is a finished product and you can bet they were expensive...but that's part of the appeal and part of the sales technique.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Mike - as someone who doesn't sell digital and I deal with just prints, it's great to hear about ways other are using to make the sale.

Most reactions

Back