Implications with shooting in JPEG + RAW?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I haven't shot in Jpeg for over 2 years. It fills up the memory card pretty fast shooting in both, and the buffer gets filled.

What I'm wondering is if shooting in Jpeg + RAW affects the way Lightroom or other programs read the RAW file. I remember reading someone telling me that if you set your Jpeg processing (ie. D-Lighting or picture control), that this can change the way the RAW file is read.

I would assume each are separate?

As a rule the camera settings that apply to creation of a camera JPEG (WB, contrast, sharpness, etc.) have no effect on a raw file. But you mentioned D=Lighting and that's were some exceptions are likely to show up. Nikon's D-Lighting is designed to deal with high contrast light and render a JPEG with appropriately lower contrast to prevent highlight clipping. This has become a common function in many cameras and goes by various names, eg. Canon HTP, Fuji DR, Sony's I forget what it's called, etc.

There's some variation make to make on how these are implemented, but the most common method is to force and underexposure if one form or another that does indeed effect the raw file. A flag is then placed in the meta-data and LR will likely read it and compensate for the underexposure behind the scenes not otherwise telling you what's going on. This can create considerable confusion.

Joe

Most reactions

Back