Improvised Stability Devices

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so in another thread, someone asked how to do the see-thru shots that some of us have posted recently. I said that you need to mount your camera (hehe--mount your camera...oh, sorry, wrong thread) to your tripod or whatever improvised stability device you have.

So, this got me to thinking. I remember several months ago, I was in my fav bar taking pics, and as I had no tripod at the time, I used 3 glasses stacked on top of each other. I remember JonMikal saying that he used Scoob (which I think might win), so that got me to wondering...

Not counting tripods what have you used as an Improvised Stability Device?

Bean bags are handy...you can put one under the lens...so that the camera will sit level. There is even a product available, it's a bean bag with a built-in tripod screw so that you can mount it right to the camera.

How about this...? A string with a loop and a screw eye-let. You screw the eyelet into the tripod mounting threads and put the loop around your foot. You pull up on the camera as you shoot...for stability. Of course, if the string is not long enough for you to be standing...you will look pretty silly.

Cans of beer on the bar.

Speakers. My Knee.

During the Joshua Tree meetup I was told that my height, or lack thereof, made the top of my head the perfect tripod substitute :er:

Not too creative, but I've leaned against a fair number of trees or lightposts to get a shot.

Because I do a lot of hiking out into the desert and up into the mountains I don't usually cary the tripod away from the truck. So, I've used lots.

A towel
My sweater/shirt
Rocks
Pieces of wood
Wedged it into bushes/tree branches
My Knee

Whatever is available. It's better to have to make some small adjustments in PS, than not take the photo at all :)

I just conditionned myself to achieve steady handheld pics.

...but of course under certain circumstances i might get shaking (like when it's -20C outside) so i use my friends' backs, rocks... when it's not nature and i'm alone: my knee.

...luck is around every corner ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back