In my dreams

Well I guess

Nikon D5500
55-200mm VR
3 Nikon SB-910 speed light
Good tripod with good head
you're getting ripped off. your list would barely touch $2,500 much less 10x that amount.
I know but I really have most of what I need/desire, my quest is in improving my skills, I am really working hard on it but am very much frustrated at the slow paste things move.
Gear wise I am happy :) (for now)
If I was to add to your list I'd put in a sigma art 50mm and 85mm
105mm macro and a Df
As well as a Leica Dlux typ 109

Trade you lessons for the Sub

Last edited:
The successor to the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (which, as far as I know, hasn't even come up in the rumor mill yet)—shouldn't be more than $1,500. I'll buy another one to have a backup.
Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8—$1,299
Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8—under $1,000
Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8—around $1,399–$1,499 if I remember correctly.
All that is less than $7,000…

I'd spend the rest on a heavy-duty tripod for the high-res mode (already have a lightweight tripod for regular use), and a fully upgraded iMac with 5k display.
Oh, and a printer, forgot about that. Something like a Canon Pixma PRO-1, maybe.

Well I guess

Nikon D5500
55-200mm VR
you're getting ripped off. your list would barely touch $2,500 much less 10x that amount.
I know but I really have most of what I need/desire, my quest is in improving my skills, I am really working hard on it but am very much frustrated at the slow paste things move.
105mm macro and a Df

These Art Sigma lenses are good for sure, not sure if they would really improve my photography though, my current lenses are more then enough sharp and fast for my needs, nice dream though.
The Leica looks interesting to replace my Canon G15 but does it do video ?
My wife mosly uses the G15 and uses it for video.

Not sure what you meant when you said "Sub"

Well I guess

Nikon D5500
55-200mm VR
105mm macro and a Df

These Art Sigma lenses are good for sure, not sure if they would really improve my photography though, my current lenses are more then enough sharp and fast for my needs, nice dream though.

The Dlux does 4k video if I remember correctly.
sub = Rolex submariner

Well I guess

Nikon D5500
55-200mm VR
105mm macro and a Df

The Dlux does 4k video if I remember correctly.
sub = Rolex submariner
Oh sorry I was not connecting the dots when you said Sub LOL

No, my watches are my babies, don't plan on selling any of them.

So if you were given $25k and told to go spend it on camera gear. What would you buy?
Well OK lets assume I wouldnt have any gear right now and could spent up to 25k$ for it.

I'd get:

Cameras:
2x Nikon D750
Ricoh GR2
Fairphone

Glas:
Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 VC [Nikon]
Sigma 35mm f1.4 "Art" [Nikon]
Tamron 90mm f2.8 VC macro [Nikon]
Nikon 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 VR

Other:
2x Nikon SB910
2x Flash Cable
Extra Batteries
Blackrapid R-Strap Yeti
Some good monopod
Some good travel tripod
Circular ND Filter
Gradient ND Filter (2 stops, soft transition)
Upstep rings
Camera Bags
? Pocket Wizards or something ?
Probably more that I just forgot

P.s.: I should probably point out that this has nothing to do with my "dream" setup. My dream setup would be somebody making high quality (Zeiss Otus level) f4 or f2.8 primes for an EVF based mirrorless utilizing the new 44x33mm Sony sensor (though I'd prefer a 48x36mm Sensor since the numbers for glas get much easier to compute with a 60mm diameter system, than with a 55mm diameter system), in a reasonable and compact system.

This setup doesnt exist yet. I kind of hope that is what Fuji is working on now. Either way I'm happy enough with my current D600/28+50mm f1.8/16-35+70-200mm f4 VR setup that I wont switch to the setup above since it would be a too small upgrade.

Last edited:
Why are so many choosing the D750 over the D810?

-D810
-Tamron 24-70 2.8VC
-Tamron 15-30 2.8
-Really Right Stuff Tripod and Head
-Sigma 35 and 50 Art
-Holdfast Money Maker
-Holdfast Sightseer Lens Pouch

Spend the rest on travel. Patagonia? New Zealand? Norway? Ireland? Australia? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuasam said:
Why are so many choosing the D750 over the D810?

Probably the price/performance benefit ratio and also the smaller files size for storage/archiving/processing...the jump from 24 MP to 36 MP is not a very big gain in actual resolution, something like I think 15%, but with a 50% penalty in hard drive/disc/storage/archiving/flash memory space use...the 24 MP Nikon FX sensor cameras have "good enough" resolution capability as the 36 MP cameras, and arguably, a little bit better High ISO performance as well, so...people are loving on the 24MP FX D750 pretty hard.

I dunno about in the hand though; for me, a guy with very long, slender fingers and big hands, the D750's small handgrip feels very cramped...I do not like the camera in the hand...the grip is way too cramped for me. Coming from the D1-D1h-D2x-D3x past of 15 years, the small D750 feels very miniaturized. I prefer the bigger hand grip and less-compacted design layout. My main lens is a 70-200 or 80-200, so I like a heavier ballast against that long, heavy lens.

If I had 25k to drop on photo gear I'd buy a nice small shirtpocket camera, a Sony X100ii or whatever it is; maybe fill out the set of the newest G-series Nikon primes with the 24/1.4, 28/1.8, 35/1.4, buy the 24mm Tilt-Shift and the 85mm Tilt-Shift, then add the f/4 zoom trio of 16-35 VR, 24-120 VR, and 70-200 f/4 VR, pick up the new 300 f/4 with electronic diaphragm and Phase Fresnel system, buy five Einstein 640 monolights and a bunch of modifiers for those,buy a new iMac SUper Retina computer, new Apple iPhone 6, and with the remaining money I think I could get a compact, 4-section carbon fiber monopod, a D810, and five Western Digital MyBook 4 TB drives and a handful of 32-GB CF cards.

The new Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Lens. Only thing in my want-to-buy list, so I guess I'd spend the rest on plane tickets and hotels to the best spot to use the lens.

Most reactions

Back