In search of the elusive Canadian moose (827km and no moose) (pic heavy)

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never seen a real moose, despite living in Canada (Ontario) most of my life. We headed to Algonquin Park to see one. Nope, they all got the memo that I was out and all hid.

So Scott, being the wonderful boyfriend he is, said we would go to the Toronto Zoo. Yay! He bought a year membership and off we went to see the moose. Down a massively steep hill (that we then had to walk back up) and go to the moose enclosure...... no moose. He got the memo too. Apparently he was at the other end of the very large enclosure where there was no public access.

So, I had to be content for now to shoot the other zoo animals.

I got some really excellent advice from TPF's resident zoo photographer (thank you!) and did my best. Good thing we have a membership :( I blew some good shots, missed focus on some and battled settings. But it's ok, we're going back. Going to do this until I get it right. I really am trying to learn.

The wait to see these guys can be hours. Luckily, for us it wasn't. I've never seen a panda so was pretty excited.

$DSC_1863.JPG$DSC_1868.JPG$DSC_1873.JPG$DSC_1884.JPG
These guys are huge.
$DSC_1892.JPG$DSC_1893.JPG$DSC_1904.JPG

There were two owls, but once just refused to turn around. This guy only has one eye.
$DSC_1927.JPG$DSC_1931.jpg
$DSC_1960.JPG

I missed focus on almost every penguin shot. Next time, switching out my lens for the fast one. Learned that lesson!
$DSC_1980.JPG
I had no idea hyena's were this big!
$DSC_1989.JPG
Kitty paws :)
$DSC_2039.JPG
$DSC_2057.JPG
I loved this guy. He unfortunately just wanted to sleep.
$DSC_2062.JPG$DSC_2065.JPG$DSC_2070.JPG
These two (mom and baby are being moved to a different enclosure so I'll be back to get better shots of them.
$DSC_2009.JPG
$DSC_2036.JPG

Attachments

• $DSC_2010.JPG
    $DSC_2010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
I don't know, Barb. Looks like a moose to me. I really like the photo of the duck, and I have to get one of those owls for my house.

$moose.jpg

Lol.. great set Barb. Wonderful stuff. Really love the last Panda shot in particular. But now I have this image of my head of a moose wearing google glasses and using the patented BarbTrakker technology - "Ok guys, she's almost here. Quick.. everybody hide. Al... Al.. I can still see your tail buddy. Ya.. crouch down. Perfect." Lol

Lol.. great set Barb. Wonderful stuff. Really love the last Panda shot in particular. But now I have this image of my head of a moose wearing google glasses and using the patented BarbTrakker technology - "Ok guys, she's almost here. Quick.. everybody hide. Al... Al.. I can still see your tail buddy. Ya.. crouch down. Perfect." Lol
Aw thanks. And thank you so very very much for your help. I kept your advice in mind all day and got many better shots for it.

And I swear that's what they do! Here is the sign entering Algonquin: $DSC_1814.JPG We drove the whole damn thing, and not ONE moose.

I think I might head down there this weekend! For sure Mother's Day, though, we go every year with the whole family (my parents and siblings and all their kids). It's easier for me to shoot when everyone is there (ie ignore my kids since their with the grandparents, LOL).

Are the tigers pictures showing up for anyone else? Because for me they only show the attachment name. :/

Love the Panda Barb :thumbup:

Be careful of clipping feet and maybe posting 3 or 4 with EXIF info might help others help you. Are you using AF-C and which metering mode ?

Tigers work this time?

Love the Panda Barb :thumbup:

Be careful of clipping feet and maybe posting 3 or 4 with EXIF info might help others help you. Are you using AF-C and which metering mode ?

thanks Bill. Yes, clipping was a problem. There were a ton of people there so I was constantly fighting crowds. Especially little people. We got there kind of late for what we wanted but it was an unplanned trip. The next one will be right as it opens and hopefully there will be less people. It's something I really have to work on.

Here are the panda settings: (it was similar for all of them)
exposure 1/200
f/10
iso 250
white balance - auto. I tried to do a custom white balance, but for some reason, it just wouldn't work. I have a gray card, but it kept turning the pictures blue. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
Matrix metering.

Hyena
f 7.1
iso 250
metering matrix
exposure 1/320

Tiger
exposure 1/250
f 6.3
iso 640
metering matrix.

What would you have changed?