Infared on the cheap

Thanks mal,

I'd be willing to get a few rolls in. The only fear I have is that by shipping the order to Phoenix (I live in the same city as you do) it will come pretty much ruined due to the excessive heat here. We had 97 degrees today and you know how hot it gets inside the mailboxes when the mail arrives. Any suggestions aside from Fedex-ing the order?

Mitica100 said:
Thanks mal,

I'd be willing to get a few rolls in. The only fear I have is that by shipping the order to Phoenix (I live in the same city as you do) it will come pretty much ruined due to the excessive heat here. We had 97 degrees today and you know how hot it gets inside the mailboxes when the mail arrives. Any suggestions aside from Fedex-ing the order?

When I worked at a photo lab we'd only buy IR film in the middle of winter. If you think your mailbox is hot, imagine the 3 to 5 days in un-airconditioned warehouses, airplanes, and delivery trucks. Once in the middle of summer we special ordered a bunch for a local pro (who seemed to know what he was doing), and he claimed the entire batch was heat damaged.

I shot a couple rolls of Macophot Ir with like the Konica is 750nm film. I used the red 25 filter and was relly disappointed with the IR results. It looked more like regular B&W then IR. My photo teacher tells me that to really get the desired effect with 750nm film you need to use the opaque filter instead of the red. I guess the kodak has a much higher IR range so the effect, combined with halation has spoiled me.

I shot a couple rolls of Macophot Ir with like the Konica is 750nm film. I used the red 25 filter and was relly disappointed with the IR results. It looked more like regular B&W then IR. My photo teacher tells me that to really get the desired effect with 750nm film you need to use the opaque filter instead of the red. I guess the kodak has a much higher IR range so the effect, combined with halation has spoiled me.

I am surprised to hear that. I've not shot a lot of it myself, but have been with my husband and even held the 25 filter over his Rollei for him on more than one occasion when using this film. Granted, the Konica has a much tighter grain and it LOOKS very different than the HIE - but not getting any IR effects...? :scratch: I'd love to see a sample from your shoot with the film, if you care to post any.

I've never had any problem getting an intense IR effect with Konica IR and a #25 red filter. I usually rate it about ISO 25.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back