insurance for new camera

ericcjensen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just bought a new Nikon D50 and I'm loving it. Over Thanksgiving break, I plan to take a trip to Mexico City and take some sweet photos.

...But I am nervous about my camera being stolen. Does anyone know of a way to insure your camera/equipment in case it gets lost or stolen? Would renters' or homeowners' insurance cover this?

Thanks for any advice...

Eric

Check your homeowner's policy carefully. It may cover a camera up to a specific dollar amount. It may or may not cover the camera if it is outside the home or apartment. Your agent can explain further.

Separate camera policies are available. Some cover only theft. Others provide broader coverage. A check of the 'net will turn up lots of them. You might wish to look for companies providing camera coverage to professionals if you will have substantial exposure.

Few if any policies will cover damage due to carelessness. Fumblefingeritis is generally not an insurable hazard.

I'm thinking homeowners's insurance would. Call your agent and verify please. They may add a small charge to cover the items as a "rider" since they are mobile.

What may do your idea in however is a loss that occurs outside the US...Mexico...probably, in my guess, wouldn't be covered.

LWW

If you have homeowners/appt. insurance check with the insurer. You can add the equipment to a schedule of personal propery; depending on the vaule the price should not be that high. I have it for all the computer and photo equipment; I am covered fully, even if I dropped the camera off a cliff. The power switch on the camera broke a few months back, it was $100 for Minolta to repair it, I submitted to the insusrance and it was paid.

Eric:

I suspect that there are more than a few TPF-ers who could benefit from what you find out and finally do. If you can, please keep us posted.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I will do some checking with renters' insurance (I wish I was a homeowner but hey, I still rent), and try to report what I find out.

Take care

Eric

As a few others above, I added all my camera equipment as a rider to my homeowner policy. I think it was $46 for $4000 worth of coverage for worldwide all perils. Easy and cheap way to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back