interesting note about the tsnami

Another strange thing ( and I know that I'm not the only one to feel this way ) is when things like this happen and you hear about the high death toll ...well you feel so so sad but in another sense you become almost desensitised when you read/hear impersonal figures ( as in 10,000 dead , for example ) ...

But it REALLY struck me today when I looked at the front page of the Herald-Sun newspaper and saw a photo of the most gorgeous lil cherub ( from Aus ) and read this :

" Six-month-old Melina Heppell died after she was swept from her father's arms on a beach at the Thai resort of Phuket.

Speaking on Channel Nine Melina Heppell's uncle, Simon Illingworth, described what happened.

"They were walking on Patong Beach yesterday and, and apparently they saw this big wave coming so they ran trying to get their baby out of the cot or stroller and when he thought he had the baby in his hands all he had was clothes, so the baby's gone," he said "
-ABC

baby.jpg

Tears started rolling down my cheeks right there in the store , trying to fathom how the parents are feelin right now ...and they're one of MANY that have lost a loved one/s :cry: :cry: :cry:

Isn't it odd that one picture of one child can break one's heart more than knowing that tens of thousands of people died. I guess it serves to make the tragedy more real.

God bless little one...

I know what you mean Lumi...you here these huge numbers but until it's personal you can't feel it.

It's all sad. The stories that are getting to me the most are the ones where two people are swept away together and one has not been found. There are several stories of people on their honeymoons, couples on vacation, etc. where a partner is missing. I can't imagine what it is like to see your love one minute and then the next they are swept away never to be seen again.

We're all grappling to come to grips with it, but it's too random and horrific an act to ever really be able to, I fear. All we can do is try to help the survivors.

And be kind to one another. :D

im going to go out on a limb here and say my little peace about this whole thing....

i think this is the worst thing ive ever read. it breaks my heart to hear that so many lives were lost. BUT....

when the governments of these nations give concessions to poor farmers so they can set up shrimp and other seafood farms, so that we can have cheap seafood, and the only way to create such farms is to chop down all the vegitation(including mangroves), what did they expect? im not trying to blame mankind, but in the florida keys, where the mangroves are protected, they serve to buffer out large waves and overly large tidal flows. when the mangroves are gone, the waves rush in at around 450 MPH.

like i said, this is so tragic, i cant even find the words to express it. i even donated money to the red cross. but man will eventually cause the demise of man.

[/rant]

md

MDowdey said:
im going to go out on a limb here and say my little peace about this whole thing....

i think this is the worst thing ive ever read. it breaks my heart to hear that so many lives were lost. BUT....

when the governments of these nations give concessions to poor farmers so they can set up shrimp and other seafood farms, so that we can have cheap seafood, and the only way to create such farms is to chop down all the vegitation(including mangroves), what did they expect? im not trying to blame mankind, but in the florida keys, where the mangroves are protected, they serve to buffer out large waves and overly large tidal flows. when the mangroves are gone, the waves rush in at around 450 MPH.

like i said, this is so tragic, i cant even find the words to express it. i even donated money to the red cross. but man will eventually cause the demise of man.

[/rant]

md

Deforestation was a major cause of the mud slides in several areas this year too but you can't blame people for trying to make a living however they can.....it's just the same old problem, too many people!

mrsid99 said:
MDowdey said:

[/rant]

md

Deforestation was a major cause of the mud slides in several areas this year too but you can't blame people for trying to make a living however they can.....it's just the same old problem, too many people!

completely agreed sid!!! im 100% with you on that one!!!

md

mrsid99 said:
MDowdey said:

[/rant]

md

Can't outsource logging to India :lol:

voodoocat said:
mrsid99 said:
MDowdey said:

[/rant]

md

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

md

MDowdey said:
voodoocat said:
mrsid99 said:
MDowdey said:

[/rant]

md

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

md
:lol:

Most reactions

Back