Interesting Studio Setup...

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I was watching TV the other day.. Flip this house, I think.. and in the episode, they were flipping a "hair salon/photo studio".. as a marketing ploy/favor, the photographer (who does fashion type shots for magazines) did a photo shoot of the "flippers".. heres where the interesting set up comes in...

I've never seen anything like this, and I'm hoping you guys can explain the "why" to me..

The photographer had her White seamless set up, as usual, BUT, she made a rectangle box out of some ply wood (it was painted black) but it had no top or bottom, so you could see right through it.. and she had the models stand in the box, and she took photos of them there....

Unfortunatly, they didn't show the final product, so I wasn't able to see the final product..

So I'm wondering if you guys can tell me, "why the box"

sounds like sense body parts would be covered by standing in that box that it'd be something for post processing. not quite sure though, but i'd have to then wonder if it was to mask body parts...why not have the box white to blend with the background also.

i didnt see this, but im sorry i missed it. would have been interested in seeing this. :(

I'm not picturing the set up. They were standing in the box? :scratch: Was the box part of the image, like as in a prop?

There is a technique called subtractive lighting. Rather than using lights & reflectors to add light, you can use dark surfaces, flags, gobos etc to block or eat up light in order to create the lighting patterns and ratios that you want.

So, basically it is a DYI light box. (for larger object instead of smaller one like a watch) :)

Interesting ....

You said it had not top or bottom, that has no back or front. You need to work on your descriptions. :)

I was trying to figure out how you would put someone in a black, plywood box with four walls and no top or bottom, with a white seamless behind them and then proceed to take their pitcure.

It's not a light box, it's more of a gobo.
a gobo is a metal palte which is used to manipulate the shape of the light...
it means GOes Before Optics, this is only to define its use in theatre lighting though.

Gobo1.jpg
creates this
Gobo-image.jpg

so yes, it is more like a light box

as a gobo is a sheet of metal / glass which has shapes cut in it to manipulate the light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back