Interview - What would you ask?

Browncoat

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am starting a site/blog on street photography. There are so many sites these days that produce junk content that is just re-hashed from others sites, or they're creating catchy headlines in an effort to generate traffic just to sell ad space. I wanted to get back to a meat and potatoes approach.

I have contacted a well known street photographer, and he has agreed to sit down for an interview with me. Specifically, and I don't want to name drop at this point, this photographer has a knack for candid captures of people looking directly at the camera. I want to ask him about his technique.

What questions would you ask? What would YOU like to read about?

Well candid looking at the camera is pretty common so no chance we'll work out who it is ;)

But you can always go with the standard questions :

1) Who are you

2) What drew you to photography

3) What was your first camera

4) Why street
5) What else do you shoot and why

6) How do you walk through the streets with a mind to photography and taking photos.

7) What are your views on the fear/worry that many today have regarding photography on the streets; have you ever been confronted by the public/police and how did you deal with it.

8) What advice would you give to someone wanting to shoot street photography today.

9) Digital VS Film - views, thoughts, ideas and which does he use

There's probably lots more - also be prepared to adapt on the fly; if a question throws up answers that give more potential questions either add in a few as the interview goes along or tag them on the end. Note if you're very time limited tag them on the end so that you have a complete interview first; if you've more time adapt on the fly (this often produces better answers because your following a trail of thought rather than jumping from one question to the next).

On that latter note try to have some structure so that the questions do lead into each other; that helps relax both parties and makes for better answers

Thanks for the reply, this is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

I do have a series of questions I'd like to ask, but I'm trying to bridge the gap and find out what others would be interested in reading about. I follow his blog, and he's made some interesting changes to his gear lately, so that will definitely be a point of discussion.

"Have you ever been beaten/stabbed/shot or tazed by your subjects?"
"Is a tripod good defensive weapon, or will monopod do the job?"
"How do you stay in denial that you are just a jerk with a camera?"

I think about these questions myself. I guess I enjoy being a jerk.

DSC_9723_zps0ccca71b.jpg

* Edit - One more:" Do you think about your shots in your dreams?"

DSC_9979_zps2e3a940a.jpg

Do you have a reason for doing street photography as opposed to every other area?
You are well-known for taking pictures of people face-on; doesn't that make you part of the scene and change it?
What are your feelings about the ethics of shooting people in the street and exposing them to the world?

I am starting a site/blog on street photography. There are so many sites these days that produce junk content that is just re-hashed from others sites, or they're creating catchy headlines in an effort to generate traffic just to sell ad space. I wanted to get back to a meat and potatoes approach.

I have contacted a well known street photographer, and he has agreed to sit down for an interview with me. Specifically, and I don't want to name drop at this point, this photographer has a knack for candid captures of people looking directly at the camera. I want to ask him about his technique.

What questions would you ask? What would YOU like to read about?

Bruce Gilden ? i met him in Derby a few years ago and had a great chat with him, he spotted my Leica film cameras, he shoots the same

Most reactions

Back