Invited to Sit-In on Photo Class -- Should I Do It?

A

astrostu

I e-mailed some of the people teaching the undergrad photo classes here, asking if (a) they'd mind if I sat in, and/or (b) if they could recommend what level would be beneficial to me (as the descriptions for Photo 2-4 are generally the same).

Three days into the semester ... I got an e-mail back from the faculty member I e-mailed about Photo 2/3 (the guy for Photo 1 never got back to me). This is his response:

You are welcomed to sit in on either my Photography 2/3 class or the Photography 4. I have looked at your work on your website and while your work is technically proficient, It does not address the major concern of photography within our program. That concern being the use of photography as a medium of contemporary art for the essential function of personal artistic expression and the development of a unique and innovative artistic vision. We do get many inquiries from photography enthusiasts who have very traditional notions and approaches to the medium and who are interested in learning how to make better pretty pictures and who are essentially photo hobbyist. Our students are directed towards photography and the issues it can present or represent. I hope this explanation is helpful in giving you an understanding of our program.

My first (specific) thought is that no, I'm not interested in solely making better "pretty pictures" ('cept in astrophotography), but I want to learn more about composition and ideas for shooting various scenes and media.

So my general reaction after reading the reply is that I really don't know if what he's saying the focus of the class is will help me or not. So should I take the time to sit in on the class, or should I say, "Thanks, but no thanks?" What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good class?

"That concern being the use of photography as a medium of contemporary art for the essential function of personal artistic expression and the development of a unique and innovative artistic vision."

That sentence struck me as favorable rather than let the "pretty picture" blow it off.

BTW, how's the lunar eclipse manual going?

I would, learning is learning, and there might be stuff you can apply to your brand of shooting.

Knowing is half the battle.

If it were me, I would totally sit in on the class. As said right before me, learning is learning. And I think it would be an awesome opportunity.
What school wants you to sit in on a class?

Should be finished this week. Watch the thread where I initially posted about it.

I'm a grad student there. CU Boulder.

Hmm My husbands aunt lives in Boulder...

Does it have a good photography program?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back