Is Honesty gone? Are we just a kiss and coddle forum now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You know.. it had gotten to where I just ignore certain types of photographers... even though they need the most help!

I ignore them, because I am afraid I will be banned if I am honest.. even if I not rude about it!

Does anyone else feel this way?

If we see really BAD photography.. how ARE we supposed to address that? If we are anywhere near honest... somebody is probably going to get upset?

Are we a teaching forum.. or a kiss and coddle forum?

How do we address somebody else telling a really BAD photographer how great their shots are.. when they AREN'T?

Just curious!!!!

Charlie, your wasp photo and flower photos stink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously though.. I only generally give someone a cc on genre I feel I know best. I hardly every comment on anything but weddings and portraits. I also usually only give CC to people who have been here longer.

well, I haven't seen anyone banned for any arguments over bad HDR photos so i would assume that it doesn't matter what you SAY here, as long as you don't post any memes (or other photos) you don't have the copyrights to. Blast away with impunity charlie! :lol:

seriously though.. I only generally give someone a cc on genre I feel I know best. I hardly every comment on anything but weddings and portraits. I also usually only give CC to people who have been here longer.

Understood.. but it is usually the NEW people (new to photography, or have years of experience and still can't get a decent exposure) that need the most help...... not the people who have been here longer!

Charlie, your wasp photo and flower photos stink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PHHHTTTT! Just cuz I don't have three gorgeous little models running around, I have to take what I can get! :)

I say don't hold back. I hope no one holds back when critiquing my work... but that's just me. There is a difference between rude and saying a photo is crap then being stern and offering sound advice and WHY the photo is not good and ways it can improved.

From what I notice, some people post "snapshots" just to share a photo/memory etc and when it gets critiqued, the OP gets offended, and scares off people who actually want to post critique for other users... There seems to be a thin line of when ppl do and don't want C&C.

I say, there should be an option within the forum software that allows us to choose and option like "requesting C&C" and next to the title of the thread is standard symbol/whatever it may be stating that this OP in fact wants good, structured criticism. When the OP chooses this option to go along side their thread, they know what they are getting themselves into, and I think this makes more experienced members more comfortable to provide C&C.

As a moderator for some of the Android communities out there, we have started using "Tags" that the OP can use to say that this thread is a "THEME" or a "ROM" of "MOD" and the tag stands in the same format and makes it easier for members to tell what the thread is.

well, I haven't seen anyone banned for any arguments over bad HDR photos so i would assume that it doesn't matter what you SAY here, as long as you don't post any memes (or other photos) you don't have the copyrights to. Blast away with impunity charlie! :lol:

Wanna bet? I could get banned permanently in a heartbeat if I actually said what I was thinking to some people! but I am literally afraid to even TRY to help these people.. because I might hurt their feelings, and piss off a mod or something.....

I say don't hold back. I hope no one holds back when critiquing my work... but that's just me. There is a difference between rude and saying a photo is crap then being stern and offering sound advice and WHY the photo is not good and ways it can improved.

From what I notice, some people post "snapshots" just to share a photo/memory etc and when it gets critiqued, the OP gets offended, and scares off people who actually want to post critique for other users... There seems to be a thin line of when ppl do and don't want C&C.

I say, there should be an option within the forum software that allows us to choose and option like "requesting C&C" and next to the title of the thread is standard symbol/whatever it may be stating that this OP in fact wants good, structured criticism. When the OP chooses this option to go along side their thread, they know what they are getting themselves into, and I think this makes more experienced members more comfortable to provide C&C.

As a moderator for some of the Android communities out there, we have started using "Tags" that the OP can use to say that this thread is a "THEME" or a "ROM" of "MOD" and the tag stands in the same format and makes it easier for members to tell what the thread is.

If someone doesn't want C&C.. they are supposed to post in the "Just for Fun" forum.. that one is basically C&C free.... everywhere else is fair game!

If someone doesn't want C&C.. they are supposed to post in the "Just for Fun" forum.. that one is basically C&C free.... everywhere else is fair game!

This is true... however... most members probably DON'T think like this... shame on them right? haha.

I think if there was a "Requesting C&C" tag used when creating a thread, the OP accepts full responsibility for what kinda mess he/she may be getting into lol and that should give the experienced members more comfort in being honest. And if you in fact provide good C&C you should not worry about offending someone, that's an issue the OP needs to get over, and if they can't get over it, well... they'll have a hard time improving their work and take it somewhere else :D lol and if they take it to a mod and a mod says "Well... you asked for it... I'm afraid you're SOL, as long as the C&C isn't offensive in anyway."

It could work.. maybe... who knows...

I don't know if anyone has been banned for being honest. But there is a (sometimes fine) line between being honest and being brutal.

Communicating on the internet is hard to do well...and many times, you have to guess the intellectual, mental and emotional state of who you are 'talking' to.

So many of us have found that a good technique is to pepper your comments with both compliments and critique.

Everyone was bad at photography, at some point. So when you see bad photography, maybe suggest way that they can improve, rather than just pointing out the flaws.

Wanna bet? I could get banned permanently in a heartbeat if I actually said what I was thinking to some people! but I am literally afraid to even TRY to help these people.. because I might hurt their feelings, and piss off a mod or something.....

I did say that "I" haven't seen...not that there haven't been.
maybe we need a photo critique section in the NSFW section with "no holds barred" critique allowed.

Tell it like it is man! Come from the heart and never hold back.

uhh...this is Charlie...*sometimes* it might be good to "hold back." :lmao:

No, it's all kiss and coddle, suck it up. :D
Just kidding--but I don't want to see you get banned again, so I'm thinking if you're fighting those urges, maybe you need to send a PM or two wherein you can be more "brutally honest." :lol:

Okay, all kidding aside:
No, I hope we aren't at the place where we can't be honest, even when that honesty is that the OP is not at the level they seem to believe they are. I think we can be completely honest and yet completely civil--okay, MOSTLY civil. :lol:

Had it not been for some brutal honesty, I for one would not have improved nearly as much as (hopefully) I have. The thing is, it's up to the OP to decide whether to get their feelings hurt and turn the whole thing into a drama fest, or actually pay attention and try to learn how to improve.

I'll admit, I too sometimes just don't reply in a thread instead of saying, "OMG do you SERIOuSLY think that is worth posting???" Are you shocked?? :D It's true!
And then I want to add: "Oh, did I offend you with my opinion? Well, you should hear the ones I keep to myself!"

Also, to get your message accross is very hard. It may sound friendly if you had said it in person, but when you type it... you sound like the biggest A-hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back