Is it just me?

first, i think you meant "Fuzzy" Tyson, not "Fussy." But I guess photos sometimes complain extensively. :)

I do, however, agree with the fact that it is not sharp on my monitor.

Ok, then anyone have any ideas? I saved this as a tiff and, even when saved at 1200 resolution and extreme sharpness, the result is the same. I"m using an HP flatbed with a slide attachment. Is it the equipment or the software?

Is it the equipment or the software?

Are you getting similar results with other slides? Have you looked at the slide with a loupe to make sure it's sharp? Just eyeing a 35mm slide it would look sharp even if it's soft.

Yes, I tried other slides and looked at them on a light table with a 4x loupe. THey all looked sharp.

what about the other scans?

usually, when scanning you always lose some sharpness and should use an unsharp mask in postprocessing.

do you do any grain reduction? if that is done with the scanner software, then this usually reduces sharpness ... as does ICE (dust and scratches removal).

but as a general rule, scans always have a certain softness compared to the original.

Hmm. Could my eyesight be a problem? I have glasses and they need to be replaced. Is it possible, though, that things looked sharp in the viewfinder and are just a little off in enlargements? I said earlier that I looked at the slides through a loupe, but maybe that didn't enlarge them enough for me to notice.

i'm viewing on a mac, which has a pretty darn good display, and it's a little fuzzy!

Most reactions

Back