Is it really an upgrade?

I can get the 50 used here saving about... $20, not really the best deal, and used 18-55 is almost don't exist on out (Polish) used lens market. It differs a bit from what you've got in US, and shipping from ebay isn't a solution when buying stuff so cheap.

Mmm, I didn't see that you were in Poland. Yes, that would cause problems. Well, if I were you, I wouldn't sacrifice your ability to zoom. I'd save a little bit and then get the 50mm in addition to the one you have. I have the 50mm 1.4 and it definitely can be a bit frustration being stuck with a prime. Well, sometimes anyways.

i'd take the prime any day and do a little 'feet zooming'. or, crop in PP. you already have the kit zoom.

many-a-photographer has cut their teeth on a 50mm. i don't really know that, it just sounds good. =)

really, you just can't beat fast glass.

many-a-photographer has cut their teeth on a 50mm. i don't really know that, it just sounds good. =).

whilst the nifty fifty is cheap as chips - remember it is not a chip - Don't try eating it! ;)

My personal experience. I got the XTI/400D with the kit lens as well to start with. And I got the 50mm f/1.8 couple weeks after that without knowing why it is much better. Well, basically my cousin (who has a Nikon D3) told me just get it and I will be happy with it.

Since I am new to the world of SLR/DSLR and the 50mm f1.8 is not expensive so I took his advice and got it. AND ...... he is right! What a difference between the Canon XTi Kit lens and the 50mm! (at 50mm)

Yes, I do noticed that the newer 17-55mm IS Kit lens from Canon is much better than the one I got in terms of optical quality. If Photozone did not made any mistake, it is sharper than a lot of lens out there. I will say it is a good replacement for the XTi/400D kit lens.

But the 50mm is a different kind of animal. It let you do stuff that you cannot do it with the 17-55mm IS lens. If you want to have a nice Bokeh type of image at low cost, get the 50mm f1.8. Go to flickr.com and search for "EF 50mm f/1.8" and you will see a lot of nice Bokeh images that taken with that lens.

Personnally I do not care too much of the IS in this range although it is nice to have. If I need to take a wide angle, non-IS lens will works just fine in most of the situations. If you are thinking buying the 17-55mm IS lens just to replace the one you have now .... I will say save more money and get one that is even better. Something like 17-50mm F/2.8 Tamron.

So if I have to choose again, I will get the 50mm f1.8 first before I will get a replacement for the original kit lens.

Most reactions

Back