Is it "safe" to get a d600 from KEH?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still looking at backup camera options, and thinking I need to go in the direction of another FF.

I have only briefly followed the oil spot issues that the d600 had and I know they fixed it in the d610.

The price on the d600's though, are pretty tempting as a backup/second body. If I order from KEH can I assume the oil issue has been fixed?

Hypothetically, if I get one and it has the oil issue, does anyone know if Nikon will still repair it if I am not the original owner of the camera?

I've only ordered from KEH three times but all have been fine. They do have a slight warranty, but you may not know on that issue. My understanding is the Nikon warranties are ONLY for the original owner so it won't be a free fix, but they handled my OOW D40 as a flat fee repair.

you may want to read this: D800 vs. D610 Review

highlight:

So I ended up with a used D800, $875 shipped, 9,100 clicks.

So now with the prices where they are, and after handling it for a bit now, the D800 is my new recommendation for people who want a budget FX. If you can still find a D600 for less than $600 I'd still say get it, and hopefully they replace the D610 soon enough and you can get the newer model once the shutter fails. But the D800: Big Thumbs Up.

But to answer your question: Nikon will repair/replace the D600, due to oil issue, regardless of owner history -- see the service advisory.

Don’t assume the cameras from KEH are repaired, as mine was not and needed service when I received it (although I didn’t notice it for awhile at portrait sized apertures).

I've only ordered from KEH three times but all have been fine. They do have a slight warranty, but you may not know on that issue. My understanding is the Nikon warranties are ONLY for the original owner so it won't be a free fix, but they handled my OOW D40 as a flat fee repair.
Thank you!
I just did what I probably should have done in the first place and just e-mailed KEH on the subject. But I'd rather talk to my friends here, so its always my first instinct. ;-)

you may want to read this: D800 vs. D610 Review

highlight:

So I ended up with a used D800, $875 shipped, 9,100 clicks.

So now with the prices where they are, and after handling it for a bit now, the D800 is my new recommendation for people who want a budget FX. If you can still find a D600 for less than $600 I'd still say get it, and hopefully they replace the D610 soon enough and you can get the newer model once the shutter fails. But the D800: Big Thumbs Up.

But to answer your question: Nikon will repair/replace the D600, due to oil issue, regardless of owner history -- see the service advisory.
Thank you for that helpful information, @Braineack! I'm a little weary of the d800 and how it will fit inside my small hands, which is the main reason I hadn't considered it previously. I will read through the thread you shared in a bit though and ponder the matter.

Don’t assume the cameras from KEH are repaired, as mine was not and needed service when I received it (although I didn’t notice it for awhile at portrait sized apertures).

This is what I was really seeking, a personal experience with KEH. I will definitely take note!
If they aren't coming repaired from KEH and Nikon will still repair the issue for a second owner, then I may be better off checking craigslist and scoring one for a lower price.

Thanks so much for sharing, @JonA_CT. I appreciate your input.

KEH is really good about returns if something is wrong. so is Adorama.
i have had very little issues with either company, but both handled things very well for me.
i always check KEH for used gear because i feel they are safe to order from.

KEH is really good about returns if something is wrong. so is Adorama.
i have had very little issues with either company, but both handled things very well for me.
i always check KEH for used gear because i feel they are safe to order from.

Unfortunately, I had a pretty terrible return experience with Adorama a few years back, so I wont even bother with them anymore!

I have never had to return to KEH, but have been impressed with the lens's from there and how immaculate they seemed. I suppose we will see what they come back with when they return my email on the oil issue.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

I'm a little weary of the d800 and how it will fit inside my small hands, which is the main reason I hadn't considered it previously.

For my hand the grip is a noticeable improvement. it's just gripper.

stolen image that's now my art:

upload_2017-12-14_12-48-52.png

Unfortunately, I had a pretty terrible return experience with Adorama a few years back, so I wont even bother with them anymore!

I have never had to return to KEH, ......

My bad experience with Adorama goes back to 1977 when they refused to correct the errors they made on my order. They haven't gotten a plug nickel out of me since.

A few years back, I received a lens that had focusing issues from KEH. They quickly replaced it with a slightly better condition lens.

I'm a little weary of the d800 and how it will fit inside my small hands, which is the main reason I hadn't considered it previously.

For my hand the grip is a noticeable improvement. it's just gripper.

stolen image that's now my art:

View attachment 150724

Thank you for sharing that helpful diagram!

My issue really though, is just my hand size and the grips being too large in general, not really the shape of the grip. Which is why I ADORE my DF (on which the main complaint on that camera IS the grip) The grip on it fits like a glove.

Its probably hard to imagine the issue, without being petite, but my 9 year old is bigger than me, so is my dog, and they wont even size down 95% of wedding rings to fit my fingers. Tiny hands.

So a stickier grip doesn't help if my hand cant fit around the camera, KWIM?

Maybe I should just move over to film?! LOL

Last edited:
Hmm! Now I am quite seriously wondering if film can be a back up camera......

if small hands are the problem, have you considered switching to a pentax Q system?

if small hands are the problem, have you considered switching to a pentax Q system?
Nope! Is that mirrorless??

Edit:
I see it is!

I finally abandoned ship on the Sony mirrorless system, mirrorless just hasn't proven to be my thing!

I'm sure theres a happy medium in Nikons lineup somewhere.

The d750 looks fairly smallish, as does the d600, but even those are pushing it- so the d800 intimidates me a bit.

Last edited:
I like love my D750. It is larger (and heavier) than the D40 but I can't compare it to anything else. Also, the placement of the function and DoF preview buttons haven't been an issue for me, though I rarely have to shoot without looking down at the body first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back