Is it time to give up on PC's and buy a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbJ8YPHwXM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCV3VlZA06I[/ame]

I've worked extensively on both platforms.

IT USED TO BE... I'd always choose Mac for anything in the graphics industry. I had to. There was no way around it. The entire industry used Mac. Things NEVER went well cross-platform... mostly font issues.

These days, since Mac no longer uses that Motorola chip (somebody correct me please if this is inaccurate), things are much better.

I will agree that Mac has always been more user-friendly. I agree too that it's a much smaller market so there are fewer choices and higher prices.

In the end, I'd say these days it's a matter of what you're more familiar with and what features you like.

And just for the record... both Windows and Mac... are PCs.

-Pete

yes apples now use intel chipsets. I like both platforms they have their advantages and disadvantages.. but i prefer apple for ease of use on my end.

+1.

Though I would add that many people don't do the maintanence necessary to keep a computer system running well.

Things like routine Registry maintanence, deleting unused applications, doing hard drive maintanence, using good anti-virus, anti-spyware products, etc.

Why would i possibly want to do maintenance on my operating system? I want to USE my computer, not maintain it.
BTW all new (and upcoming) computer games are on both platforms unless it's contracted through Xbox since they are owned by Microsoft (i.e., Call of Duty). Blizzard makes all of their games Mac compatible and since they are the largest video game company that has ever existed, I think we are alright.

Call of Duty is neither owned nor developed by Microsoft. I think you meant Halo.

I think I remember hearing Mac is using an Intel chip.

Yeah, they moved away from their proprietary CPU architectures. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see them move back, after the pirating of their OS.

On topic: I have always been an advocate of: use the tool that works for you. If you are happy with a Windows system, don't worry about what else is available. Especially don't worry about what anyone else uses. It's really none of your business.

I don't even need to mention what I use. Why? It works for me, plain and simple.

AAAAA MAC! OREALLY?

Macs are far less stable and secure and far more buggy and prone to crashes than people are willing to admit
Windows Vista doesn’t really have any compatibility problems
Mac is not the industry standard for video editing.
There is no discernible difference in workload, efficiency or quality of the end result whether you are on a Mac or a PC
The days when Mac was the only platform you should use for digital imaging etc are long gone (as in early 1990’s long gone)
The fact that you own an Apple product does not make you cooler, smarter, better or more skilled than anyone else

These days, since Mac no longer uses that Motorola chip (somebody correct me please if this is inaccurate), things are much better.

Close... Motorola I think was a core contributer to the design but IBM was the manufacturer. The chip was referred to as the PowerPC chip based on RISC architecture.

From what I here...

Part of the reason behind the switch to Intel wasn't necessarily that Intel architecture was superior to the PowerPC but because Apple had a bit of a falling out with IBM. Apple wanted a bit more say so in the next release and design. One example was the PowerPC G5 processor. It ran too hot for more compact designs that Apple is famous for. That's why the last PowerBooks ran G4 processors while the last PowerMac Workstations ran G5 processors.

Oh... Mac is better.. at least that's my opinion.. :lol: Remember, Mac users are generally familiar with Windows machines but the opposite isn't necessarily widely true.

Can someone please dig up the old thread of a user giving up on Mac and going back to PC?

The PC v Mac war can be summed up easily.

Their is nothing a Mac can do that a PC can not do.
Mac's cost more for equivalent systems.
Mac's have less software options.

If you don't mind getting less for your money get a Mac.

OR you can just get a Mac and install both a PC and a Mac OS then you would have the best of both worlds!!!!!

The PC v Mac war can be summed up easily.

Those who can afford them, and those who cannot and thereby try to pretend that Windows are somehow equal.

On the consumer level, they are not even comparable.

You poor deluded soul.

If I wanted one I could purchase any product apple makes. But I do not need any of them. There is not a thing I can not do with my PC that I need/want to do. I can use photoshop, I can edit video, I can make DVD's, I can do my finances, I can do programming, I can surf and I can play the latest computer games. And at the end of the day I have more money in my pocket.

You, can do the same things. (Well except for the latest computer games ;)) There is one difference between......

Instead of money in your pocket you can look at your "cool" Apple logo.

Sweet , please let me know when you are going to be online doing all of these things so I can gain access to all your info... Awesome. I cant wait!!!! LOL only kidding calm down.

this debate will probably continue the same way canon vs nikon is. Bottom line, if you want to be cool and have all of your stuff work, buy a mac and a canon. the rest of you can use nikon and windows based computer, or whatever you want to call it. Yes, you can do many of the same things on both, but they work better, and break less on a mac. I've had my macbook pro for 2 years and not once has it crashed. My PC on the other hand...with all of the virus software, it gets bogged down, and if i try to install something without remembering to turn off virus control, or firewalls, then something screws up. Oh well.

Every time I go to the Apple store, I am amazed, because no one is ever in there with a broken imac!
Wait, no, that's not true at all. It's always slammed with pissed off people and broken Apple products. Everything breaks.

Also, I'd argue that Apple's stock is booming because of the iPhone. Period. In fact, if it weren't for the iPhone, I'm pretty sure Apple would be dead.

Also, it's really funny that people who (judging from spelling and grammar in these posts) are barely literate can pass such harsh judgement on one product or the other.

Anyway, this is a pretty entertaining thread! I'm looking forward to reading more pure crap tomorrow!

Apple corporate is doing very well.

From reports I've read most of their profit is comes from iTunes, ipod, iPhone and iPad. If their business was reliant on the Mac line it would still be limping along the way it was 10 years ago.

Also, I'd argue that Apple's stock is booming because of the iPhone. Period. In fact, if it weren't for the iPhone, I'm pretty sure Apple would be dead.

QFT.

The bad news for treehugging hippie Apple owners is that the iPhone is also slowly dying. Like everything Apple, the buzz has worn off and people are starting to wake up to the simple truth:

Apple sucks.

Android is rapidly gaining steam, and in the first quarter of 2010, actually outsold the iPhone. The new Froyo Android system has been applauded as leaving the iPhone in the dust as far as speed and usability, and it runs Flash and HTML 5. App developers CHEERED at a recent Google conference when the them of the day was "open development"...something that Apple has never embraced. And therein lies the reason why Mac never took off. It's a closed and exclusive system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back