Is it worth buying lenses for a compact?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by thefluffanutta, Jul 1, 2007.

1. thefluffanutta

thefluffanutta TPF Noob!

I have a Canon Powershot A540 compact digital camera, and with an appropriate adapter I can use SLR type lenses with it. I'm trying to decide if this is worthwhile.

I'm an amateur photographer, who only occasionally gets the chance to take pictures. I generally find my compact just fine, but now and then I want take pictures of subject very far or very close. This seems to push the compact beyond its capabilities, so adding a lens seems to be logical. Here would be my shopping list, if I were to buy from Amazon.com:
    • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MGFHI/?tag=cryosphere-20]Canon LA-DC52F Conversion Lens Adapter[/ame] ~ $19
    • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UX67Y/?tag=cryosphere-20]Canon TCDC52A Tele Converter[/ame] ~ $88
    • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HQ25/?tag=cryosphere-20]Canon WC-DC52 Wide Converter[/ame] ~ $76
    I have two questions:
    1. Are these accessories really worth buying? I really don't want to by an SLR instead.
    2. If I buy the Canon lens adapter, can I then buy any old 52mm lens? Are then any recommended ones that are good but cheaper?

Any advice would be great,

thefluffanutta.

PS: I live in the UK, so UK sources would be prefered.

2. holga girl

holga girl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    nope. not worth the money.

3. GreenSlime89

GreenSlime89 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, I've gotta second that. If you want to have image quality with different focal lengths then the only real way to go is with an SLR.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    If maintaining IQ is important... Nope

If you just need something to get you a bit wider or longer for a snapshot... then Yes.

5. Madfos

Madfos TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's never worth it, I used to think like you. But, after 3 years of photographing with my compact, I feel the limit my compact camera can do, and it really irritated me. 3 years later, I got myself a DSLR, every picture taken is really worth it. Never buy extra lenses for compact, it's just a serious waste of time and money!!!