IS lens

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I'm shooting a job tomorrow and rented an IS lens. I've never used one before. Are there any considerations in using this lens. Do I leave the IS on the entire time regardless of my shutter speed. Will it place an additional load on the battery?

Thanks!

-Pete

Yep, IS eats the battery, but honestly it's negligible, unless you're doing loooong exposures. Read up on how many stops of IS you're getting from the lens; that is approximately how many stops slower you can have the shutter speed from your normal safe hand-holding speed.

On the old XTI it used battery a bit more. On the 1d mk III you cant tell a differance. If tripod shooting I usually turn it off (tripod on a moving ship) .

It helps freeze the scene but not a moving object.

Hope that helps Pete, honestly I never think about it eating the battery as its a non issue if you start the day with a fresh charge.

Cheers

The IS will not kick in until you half-press the shutter button. So I will assume it only use the battery while you are shooting.

Also, some IS lens has 2 IS modes. In my lens, mode 1 is good for any hand held shots, mode 2 is good for panning type shots. (motion compensation for horizontal movement is disabled)

Nice. Where did you rent from and how much. I have always bee curious about how the renting process works. Do they charge from the day they send it or the day you receive it?

Nice. Where did you rent from and how much. I have always bee curious about how the renting process works. Do they charge from the day they send it or the day you receive it?

I got it from Calumet in Chicago. It's a Canon 24-105 f4L. The rate is $30/day or $90/week. This is my first lens rental. It was fairly easy for me. I've had a 30 account with them for over 20 years, so I didn't have to come up with the $1000 deposit. And yes... they will bill me from thier door to their door.

-Pete

Good luck with it Pete. It's pretty straight forward, you shouldn't need to adjust your shooting style any...except that you can expect to be able to gain a few stops before you have to worry about camera shake. So where you might limit yourself to 1/60, you could shoot at 1/15 for example.

Do keep in mind that it only prevents blur from camera shake. If your subjects are moving, they will still be as blurry at 1/15 as they would be without IS.

And as mentioned, turn it off if you are on a tripod etc.

Most reactions

Back