Is "manhole" the correct english word? by Pascal Riben

Our local road workcrew call them "DAhole", as in, "hey you! don't fall into DA hole!". Although, to be fair, there's usually an adjective between the Da and Hole that starts with "f"...

Nice concentration of them here. by itself it is a curiosity, must be a maze underneath. :lol:
Nice catch Pascal, you noticed it well.
Actually what we see here are manhole covers, holes are below them. It also has another, more technical name: "inspection chamber".

From a land surveyors point of view we call them manholes. Those seem to be electric or steam. The other thing that is most likely is they all are in groups that access the same underground utility(1 large opening with a lot of access)

So why do they need so much access if it is just one opening. There are NINE .. emm.. personholes.
One for each day of a week and two spares for use on states holydays. :biggrin:

Bangkok, Thailand - CLICK THE PICTURE!

Nice concentration of them here. by itself it is a curiosity, must be a maze underneath. :lol:
Nice catch Pascal, you noticed it well.
Actually what we see here are manhole covers, holes are below them. It also has another, more technical name: "inspection chamber".

Thank you Timor! And I'll try to remember "manholes covers" and "inspection chamber"...

From a land surveyors point of view we call them manholes. Those seem to be electric or steam. The other thing that is most likely is they all are in groups that access the same underground utility(1 large opening with a lot of access)

So why do they need so much access if it is just one opening. There are NINE .. emm.. personholes.

The true name of this image is Sewer Orgy. I would even go as far as Severe Sewer Orgy.

There may be a valve under each one if its steam or anything under pressure, we see them for sanitary sewer forcemains also.
Another thought is if its in a city(wilmington delaware and Philly in my expierience) there are vaults of electric wires everywhere. The norm in wilmington is a grate instead of manholes but in Philly they have both.

No offense to those who live there but code enforcement in some of these countries is pretty lax. Heck some places even use bamboo to make scaffolding!

No offense to those who live there but code enforcement in some of these countries is pretty lax. Heck some places even use bamboo to make scaffolding!

I have read that bamboo is better when the weather is very hot...

There may be a valve under each one if its steam or anything under pressure, we see them for sanitary sewer forcemains also.
Another thought is if its in a city(wilmington delaware and Philly in my expierience) there are vaults of electric wires everywhere. The norm in wilmington is a grate instead of manholes but in Philly they have both.
There must be some technical reason for such a grouping. However on the picture, for just casual viewer, it looks like someone got crazy here.

In Bangkok there are 8 Ninja Turtles and their leader, a honey badger named Titian. We know how impatient Ninja Turtles are, so they each get a hole......Their names are Picasso, Dali, Rembrandt, Monet, Caravaggio, Munch, Andy, Bob Ross....;)

In Bangkok there are 8 Ninja Turtles and their leader, a honey badger named Titian. We know how impatient Ninja Turtles are, so they each get a hole......Their names are Picasso, Dali, Rembrandt, Monet, Caravaggio, Munch, Andy, Bob Ross....;)

Best post of the day award!
Splinters long lost twin badger.

Those going to Bangkok and wanting find them, take the BTS and stop on "On nuts" station: there is a Tesco lotus with a parking, the manholes are on the parking.

http://goo.gl/maps/7A1PK

On GM the parking in on the right, you can see it from the footbridge.

Let's go to Bangkok.

This is a song I like very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back