Is my new lens defective? Rokinon 12mm manual. Pictures inside...

Backwards%20S.jpg

I would think 'intelligent auto' has to do with exposure.... not contrast, color saturation etc.

I think what you're seeing is the difference in the glass used by two different manufacturers.
But did you take a look at the Sony auto vs Sony manual comparison?

Here it is again...

Notice they both have the same exact settings (except one was shot in intelligent auto, other was aperture priority), however they look very different.

Dropbox - DSC09634 Sony Auto 8F.JPG

Dropbox - DSC09635 Sony Manual 8F.JPG

Backwards%20S.jpg

I would think 'intelligent auto' has to do with exposure.... not contrast, color saturation etc.

I think what you're seeing is the difference in the glass used by two different manufacturers.

Here it is again...

Notice they both have the same exact settings (except one was shot in intelligent auto, other was aperture priority), however they look very different.

I used the two manual images since they use the exact same settings. The other two have different settings, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

Again.... your lens is not defective. They are made by two different manufacturers using two different methods and most likely, two different types of glass.

Backwards%20S.jpg

Here it is again...

I used the two manual images since they use the exact same settings. The other two have different settings, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

Again.... your lens is not defective. They are made by two different manufacturers using two different methods and most likely, two different types of glass.
Sorry you must have misread my previous post. I was not referring to the Rokinon comparisons in that post, but instead to the Sony auto versus Sony manual picture. Same exact settings, but different outcome. This occurs every time when shooting intelligent auto versus any other mode with my kit lens. So there must be some type of processing the camera is automatically doing in intelligent auto for the kit lens (however not exposure compensation, somethine else, because the EXIF data shows ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed exactlt the same between them).

And yes after reading through this and understanding the nuances of different lenses a little more, I realize the Rokinon lens is not defective.

Rokinon can 'brighten' in photoshop....
DSC09638 Rok Auto 8F.jpg

Here it is brightened with the uber-limited windows 10 photo app (did use PS to resize to 1000px wide however):
DSC09638 Rok Auto 8F.1.jpg

The difference in the Sony AUTO and the Sony MANUAL photos you have on DropBox is very slight. The AUTO shot has only a little bit higher contrast or saturation...this is a minor difference. A very minoir difference, most likely down to how the camera processed the file.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back