Is Sky possible with F1.4?

vadim2200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was watching this video of Jason L. and he shot his model with F1.4 he says. But how is it possible with F1.4 to get sky in focus, it all should be blurred right?

or is it because of the distance between the model and the camera?

I dunno how anyone can look at his final products and want to learn/emulate his work...

the tree/sky is blurred in that shot, it's just not as extreme as it would look with 1. a long lens and/or 2. a lens focused on a very close subject.

I was ready to bail after about 3 min., I wonder if this group learned anything?? Didn't seem to instruct or explain, just yammered about what he was doing (sort of) and then said to just play... ?? They didn't pay much for this did they?? lol (well it's not really funny...)

Wait, did he say fake sky?? did he photoshop it in? Anyway like Braineack said it's out of focus, the grass is anyway.

Oh that's a running joke with him. Since he over processes the crap out of his pictures they don't look real. So when people say his skies look fake he tries to make a point of that he really captured them

using tapatalk.

He's so casual with his teaching and so sporadic that he might well have just been saying what the maximum aperture on his lens was rather than what he was actually shooting at. There didn't seem to be all that much thought to teaching going on nor on clear communication and the way he holds his camera and shoots was very lazy - a kind of "I'm cool like this I can shoot like this" kinda attitude.

So he might well have used a very different aperture than f1.4
Now I've never shot f1.4 (don't have a lens that can do that) but it might still be possible to get this kind of effect if the point of focusing is in the right place and on a wide angle lens. Replacing the background is also possible; but I'd argue that with the fall-off of depth of field he'd have to replace almost everything - that's a serious amount of work and honestly he doesn't give the impression to me that he's the kind to do that in this situation.

So I'd say yes its an honest shot from a wide-angle wide aperture lens that might well be at f1.4.

meanwhile one of his d̶i̶s̶c̶i̶p̶l̶e̶s̶ students it using a Gary Fong Lightsphere outdoors with the dome cover in place ensuring no light actually hits the subject...

The guy reminded me of some gang-banger holding his gun sideways with a big "Ain't I cool!" grin on his face.
It's hard to imagine that anybody would pay for a seminar with him.
Must be something to him somehow since there was a relatively large group and he had nice equipment and assistants.

He's my hero...

Anyway...

Yeah. I agree. It looks like f/1.4 to me. I don't see anything special here.

Now, back on topic. That photograph is just terrible. I can only watch about 15 seconds of his videos. Guy is a serious hack.

Oh that's a running joke with him. Since he over processes the crap out of his pictures they don't look real. So when people say his skies look fake he tries to make a point of that he really captured them

using tapatalk.

What's the point? If he's trying to make a sky that looks fake, why not just fake the sky?

A while back, this dweeb did about a 45 minute rant on YouTube about how people shouldn't teach others photography unless they are as awesome as he is. Bragged about how much money he makes with is infinite wisdom. All others just hope to be like him one day.
Sorry, my post should go in the new "Pet Peeve" Dump.

Last edited:
But how is it possible with F1.4 [sic]to get sky in focus, it all should be blurred right?
The lens aperture used is just 1 element that determines the depth of field (DoF).
The point of focus distance (PoF) has more effect on DoF than the lens aperture does.
Other factors that affect the DoF are the lens focal length and the camera's image sensor size.
And like PoF lens focal length, long focal lengths in particular, also have more effect on DoF than the lens aperture does.
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Most reactions

Back