Is that a HDR?

the word HDR is so much misused. What we see on our computer screen are not HDR images. There are very few monitors that can display true HDR images and they cost 10's thousands of dollars. What we actually see is a toned mapped version of the HDR images. Anyhow, while I can appreciate the artistic use of the tone mapped images, I have a feeling that many people don't realize what the true use is for. Sometimes, the images just look pure "cartoonish".

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but using the word "an" before a word that begins with "h" is a perfectly acceptable use of English grammer. In fact it was the undisputedly correct way to write and it's actually people who have began using "a" rather than "an" who have confused the issue in recent decades. I was taught to use "an" when I was a school, and that was only in the eighties!

Anyway, back to the topic - the point of HDR is to more accurately reflect the range that the human eye perceives as the humble camera is not nearly as adept. Anything beyond that is merely artistic (and decreasingly original). Using HDR properly though enhances a picture and creates something more like you can see with your own eyes. Sometimes I see something that looks great but bringing my camera up and trying to recreate what I am seeing is impossible because the scene has such a wide range. So if I have a tripod or a table (and a cable release) I'll bracket and try for an HDR. That seems to me a pretty good use for it.

[vent]...What the hell is wrong with people these days. ...
[/vent]...

Same thing that was wrong with them about a year ago-- too wrapped up in definitions and predetermined opinions based on technique rather than individual sense of aesthetics and the finished product.

I guess what's frustrating is that some people may start to think HDR is necessary to get a really intriguing interesting photo, which of course it is not...it is all about eye.

Hit the nail on the head and drove it straight through the wood. It starts with "is this HDR?" to applying "this is HDR" to every nicely captured photo to "needing HDR" for every shot you take.

The choice of indefinite article is not based on the expanded abbreviation, but on how the abbreviation itself is pronounced.

You are incredibly full of all sorts of weird information. Where did you get this stuff from :D

did you write that post using HDR?! How can I do it? PHotomatix is too expensive, do you have akey for it? LOL!

I've only made 2 HDRs ever and they were so horrible looking I deleted them. I think I've gotten over the "ooh ahh" effect they first had on me when they were the "new thing". I do still love really well done HDRs like those from Woodsac though.

You are incredibly full of all sorts of weird information. Where did you get this stuff from :D

I thought that was a rhetorical question at first, so didn't reply. I think that it is just an illusion because I try to only answer questions on subjects I know something about.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back