Is there a difference in SD memory cards?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I missed the cut-off time for B&H phone ordering, so I thought I'd pose this question before I go to the on-line ordering.

Right now I use Lexar 2GB SD memory cards for my D80. There's a whole host of others out there. Do you digital folks have a preference for the card maker? 'Cause I saw a twin pack of Lexar 2GB cards for about $40 bucks and thought while I'm at it.......

Yep generic ;) They are cheaper.

As I mentioned just now in another thread, flash is flash. The only thing that differs is write speed and reputation. Some companies are nice enough to provide recovery software with their cards. The generic or fake cards are just as good except they miss-represent their speed. They are no where near as fast as the legitimate brand names. Between brands though there's no difference. Infact if you do a bit of digging I wouldn't at all be surprised if some Sandisk and Lexar cards are made in the same factory.

I agree with Garbz to an extent, but I would be cautious trusting your images on the cheapest card you can find. Just my opinion

I've had a couple of the cheaper cards (I think one was a Trancend 2GB) fail on me, so never again. I do find, however, that the smaller neighbourhood computer stores have much better pricing...

I have been using OCZ, which is a huge PC memory company, and have picked up a couple of 4GB cards for $60 each. They are 150x cards and have a lifetime warranty. I'd highly recommend them.

Thanks folks. I've been bitten in the backside before by buying cheap CDs and such and thought the memory cards would fall in the same vein. I'm not brand loyal, but I'll stay with a name I know. Thanks again.

Now I guess can go spend that $1500 that's burning a hole on my credit card.

Most reactions

Back