Is there a way to predict colorful sunrises/sunsets with atmospheric data?

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody know if it is possible to predict colorful sunrises and sunsets with atomospheric data and forecasts? I'm sure cloud cover, temperature, pressure, etc make up the variables for the conditions to get good color. Anybody done this before?

Dew point and the forcasted temp, cloud levels and their density. Any sand storms or Volcanic activity to the west of you. That sort of thing.

Why not just get out early and see what comes your way? Not everything depends on a great sunrise.

Why not just get out early and see what comes your way? Not everything depends on a great sunrise.

Because it takes two hours just to get out of this blasted city (Seoul, Korea) and I'm sick of shooting city shots. :mrgreen:

Because it takes two hours just to get out of this blasted city (Seoul, Korea) and I'm sick of shooting city shots. :mrgreen:
So you're just gonna drive two hours, snap a few shots of the sun, and go home?

Seems like something you'd take a little more advantage of ;)

So you're just gonna drive two hours, snap a few shots of the sun, and go home?

Seems like something you'd take a little more advantage of ;)

I have trust me (5000+ images since I've had my camera)--been to Gyongju, Wonju, Pohang, Daegu, Dajeon, Pusan, and small towns on the east coast, small towns on the west coasts and small towns throughout.
Been to palaces, buddist temples, markets, and farms

The only place I haven't been is Taebek Mountains and Chollo Province (Gwanju).

But I got a 60-80 work week and still need to clean the house you know? It would be nice to eyeball the weather forecast to help optimize the shooting experience and then decide when to clean the house and do errands vs. getting some well composed thought out shots--plus I have some locations that would really work well for sunrise and sunset shots. I'm starting to come out of the "new to an SLR so I'm going to 'spray and Pray' and hope I got some good shots" type of mentality.

Reminds me of a line from the Dylan song "Subterranian Homesick Blues"....You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Sorry, I know that wasn't any help, just funny to me.

I just walk out my front door and see what I see.

Does anybody know if it is possible to predict colorful sunrises and sunsets with atomospheric data and forecasts? I'm sure cloud cover, temperature, pressure, etc make up the variables for the conditions to get good color. Anybody done this before?

well here a smog alert day means quite colourful sunsets..

also if theres any fires in the area, that will help.

A lot of times, cloudy sunrises and sunsets are really colorful, and you can get some really nice contrasts, at least in my region (Florida)

Being an astrophotographer (read: trying to be a astrophotographer) I am very dependant on the weather for when I can and when I cannot shoot astronomical objects. I use http://cleardarksky.com which does predictions of cloud cover, air transparency, wind and other things. I use it to tell me when its good to shoot (Im looking for dark, clear, transparent skys with little wind) but I am sure if you look at it you might be able to see when the sky conditions would be good for your type of shooting.

Just a thought....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back