Is there such a thing as an inexpensive follow focus?

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have this idea for a documentary this summer and I want to get some shooting practice in. I was looking at my B&H catalog for follow focuses and they all seem to be rather expensive. Is there a cheaper alterative that I could get by with? I cant even see what makes these things so expensive!

I've shot a lot of documentary film, mostly on 16 mm, and I've never used what I would call a follow focus because it isn't like shooting rehearsed drama with a First AC ('focus puller'). What we do have, however, is a removable lever coming out of the focus ring and (damped) zoom ring. You can get something like that quite cheaply from lensstraps.com

Those are pretty cool! I just bought some. Thanks for the info

It is usually very difficult for a First AC to pull focus during documentary filming. As I said, the operator usually does it herself.

If you're looking for something super-easy for the operator to use, the Film Riot guys had a video where they showed how to use a jar opener as a follow focus. $5, but it doesn't work with some cheaper lenses 'cause of the focus ring. Then again, the same cheap lenses that don't work with it don't work with most follow focus systems.

Some people have made them from Lego if you have some lying around. I think Link Delight has some for about $80, and Aliexpress has them for about $60. This is off of memory though so prices may be a little off. What defines "inexpensive"?

-Ken Turner

Most reactions

New Topics

Back