Is this a broken piece on my just arrived Nikon F3 from eBay?

Alec246

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here! Nice to meet you!

I have just acquired a Nikon F3 from eBay, directly from Japan. I did an overall inspection, and it seemed mostly fine. It was sold to me as "Near Mint". But they all are!!
So, I noticed, when I rotate the Power Switch, there seems to be a part of the plastic ring that lifts, and the ring itself seems to be separated? I have taken picture and made a movie showing what I mean. The movement isnt like a solid piece. I have to use both fingers if I want it to move without lifting or sticking. Makes me fear this might break someday?
20240514_231601.jpg

I would thank if F3 owners could give me feedback if this is expected or not, and if I should talk to the ebay seller, or its no big deal.
Regards!

Send it back for a refund. I have a Mint- early F3 and a late NOS F3HP and neither do that. Why? Because the ring is either broken or badly repaired. Guessing it will break eventually. The action on both of mine is stiffish, as it should be.
You might also check around for F3 serial # runs to determine date of manufacture. Keep in mind these were pricey in their day and many led hard working lives as pro cameras--not pampered amateur gear. They were in production for a bit more than 15 years from 1980--remaining inventory was sold off. Recall them being sold off in Toronto shops in the early 2000s at premium prices.

A gift:

Last edited:
As cgw says, absolutely return it. Bought my F3 new in the early 2000s for $1,500 USD from a local dealer - the action is still rather stiff after more than 500 films.

Thank you all. I Will be returning.. The risk is too big. I tried browsing online, you cant find that part, and it is really clearly broken, from the footage i found of Nikon F3 on Youtube. As soon as that small wire breaks, the camera is gone.

THe part I didnt mention is the 150Euros of Import taxes I will lose due to this eBay seller beying dishonest in the "Near Mint" tag. Last time i make this mistake..

Thank you all. I Will be returning.. The risk is too big. I tried browsing online, you cant find that part, and it is really clearly broken, from the footage i found of Nikon F3 on Youtube. As soon as that small wire breaks, the camera is gone.

THe part I didnt mention is the 150Euros of Import taxes I will lose due to this eBay seller beying dishonest in the "Near Mint" tag. Last time i make this mistake..
Tough break. You could shoot it till it fails and sell it for parts. If that sort of film Nikon interests you, there's always the FE/FM series cameras. Big sellers, mostly to amateurs, which means it's still possible to find nice examples for less than the F3.
FYI, according to the list I passed along, your F3 was made in 1986.

Most reactions

Back