Is this a good lens?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone gave me a canon 100-300 lens. I don't have it in front of me, but I think its f/4-5.6, and it has an ultrasonic motor. Also, its made in Japan, but aren't all Canon lenses made in Japan? It looks to be about 10-15 years old, and has a metal ring where it attaches to the camera body.

I haven't bought a DSLR yet, but wanted to know if this lens is good enough to keep, or to sell and get something else for it. I'll admit I'm not very picky at all (I probably wouldn't know what to do with an L lens), but I don't want to use junk either (Which if Canon made it, its probably mediocre at worst). I'm just amazed someone GAVE it to me. I mean, its still good!

So, if anyone has used this lens before (one of the Marks, I'm sure there's more than one), I'd like mini-review (a sentence or two).

If it's the same optics as the old FD lens, it should be excellent. I had one briefly, took some shots with it, but sold it before developing the film.:confused:

There are three lenses EF lenses
100-300 f/4-5.6
100-300 f/5.6
100-300 f/5.6L

I believe the one Early is referring to is the 100-300 f/5.6L which is different from the OP's description with the variable aperture of f/4-5.6. The tall tell of the differences is the push-pull zoom design of the 100-300 f/5.6L versus the "twist" zoom of the 100-300 f/4-5.6.

Look.. it is free. be happy.. most of us don't get squat for free.. Try it out and see if you like it. If not, send it to a poor photographic college student for free. To be honest.. there is no modern day optic that is SO bad that I'd turn my back on a free give.

There are three lenses EF lenses
100-300 f/4-5.6
100-300 f/5.6
100-300 f/5.6L

I believe the one Early is referring to is the 100-300 f/5.6L which is different from the OP's description with the variable aperture of f/4-5.6. The tall tell of the differences is the push-pull zoom design of the 100-300 f/5.6L versus the "twist" zoom of the 100-300 f/4-5.6.

Look.. it is free. be happy.. most of us don't get squat for free.. Try it out and see if you like it. If not, send it to a poor photographic college student for free. To be honest.. there is no modern day optic that is SO bad that I'd turn my back on a free give.

I'm not happy, I'm ecstatic! :D

I'm gonna use it. I'm not the type who bites the hand that feeds me. I did wanna see how good of a deal it was. I'll admit I'm at a level now where I'd probably not be able to appreciate a great lens if I had it, but I didn't know if this was basically a kit lens, or if it was of moderate quality. And I can't find out for myself because all I have is a lens, and no camera (its driving me crazy!). But like you said, anything Canon has made in the last 15 years or so is good. Just some of it is great (and others, amazing).

Thanks to everyone. If you still feel like telling me something about the lens, I'd appreciate it!

BTW, I am a poor college student. I just don't major in photography, so maybe that's why the person who gave it to me did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back