Is this a good lens?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Senor Hound, May 7, 2008.

1. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Someone gave me a canon 100-300 lens. I don't have it in front of me, but I think its f/4-5.6, and it has an ultrasonic motor. Also, its made in Japan, but aren't all Canon lenses made in Japan? It looks to be about 10-15 years old, and has a metal ring where it attaches to the camera body.

I haven't bought a DSLR yet, but wanted to know if this lens is good enough to keep, or to sell and get something else for it. I'll admit I'm not very picky at all (I probably wouldn't know what to do with an L lens), but I don't want to use junk either (Which if Canon made it, its probably mediocre at worst). I'm just amazed someone GAVE it to me. I mean, its still good!

So, if anyone has used this lens before (one of the Marks, I'm sure there's more than one), I'd like mini-review (a sentence or two).

2. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is the lens marked as FD or EF mount?

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
  4. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it's the same optics as the old FD lens, it should be excellent. I had one briefly, took some shots with it, but sold it before developing the film.:confused:

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    There are three lenses EF lenses
    100-300 f/4-5.6
    100-300 f/5.6
    100-300 f/5.6L

I believe the one Early is referring to is the 100-300 f/5.6L which is different from the OP's description with the variable aperture of f/4-5.6. The tall tell of the differences is the push-pull zoom design of the 100-300 f/5.6L versus the "twist" zoom of the 100-300 f/4-5.6.

Look.. it is free. be happy.. most of us don't get squat for free.. Try it out and see if you like it. If not, send it to a poor photographic college student for free. To be honest.. there is no modern day optic that is SO bad that I'd turn my back on a free give.

6. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not happy, I'm ecstatic! :D

I'm gonna use it. I'm not the type who bites the hand that feeds me. I did wanna see how good of a deal it was. I'll admit I'm at a level now where I'd probably not be able to appreciate a great lens if I had it, but I didn't know if this was basically a kit lens, or if it was of moderate quality. And I can't find out for myself because all I have is a lens, and no camera (its driving me crazy!). But like you said, anything Canon has made in the last 15 years or so is good. Just some of it is great (and others, amazing).

Thanks to everyone. If you still feel like telling me something about the lens, I'd appreciate it!

BTW, I am a poor college student. I just don't major in photography, so maybe that's why the person who gave it to me did.