Is this a good price for a D90

jake337 said:
Yeah that's, most likely, the worst analogy I've seen in a while. Where did you come up with 15k?

Although they have the same sensor, do they have the same filters and electronics around that sensor?

Yes, the d5k has the same AA filters as the D90. Like I said, with the same lens, there will be not a single difference in image quality between the d5k and d90. It even features the exact same video engine.

The 15k was an exaggeration because the price difference from low end cam to high end cam is a couple of thousand. Whereas, the difference in low end to high end cars is about $30k.

Last edited:
jake337 said:
Yeah that's, most likely, the worst analogy I've seen in a while. Where did you come up with 15k?

Although they have the same sensor, do they have the same filters and electronics around that sensor?

Yes, the d5k has the same AA filters as the D90. Like I said, with the same lens, there will be not a single difference in image quality between the d5k and d90. It even features the exact same video engine.

The 15k was an exaggeration because the price difference from low end cam to high end cam is a couple of thousand. Whereas, the did fence in low end to high end cars is about $30k.

I see. But take a different car to make that comparison. Lancer evolution. I've owned a lancer and an evolution model. Same block and chassis. All the added features make a huge difference in the evolution model.

What I"m saying is although those extra features in the d90 don't make a difference to you, they make a huge difference to others.

The OP really just needs to hold both in their hands and test them out and choose what "feels" better.

jake337 said:
I see. But take a different car to make that comparison. Lancer evolution. I've owned a lancer and an evolution model. Same block and chassis. All the added features make a huge difference in the evolution model..

Those additional features make for an entire different engine. Same block, but different rods and pistons, different heads, the Evo has variable valve timing, and a turbo charger on 8psi.

That makes for a huge difference in comparison to what we are comparing here. Now, if you were comparing the gtx 99 eclipse with the Evo V, that would be a more solid. Comparison, because they both have the same exact engine and drivetrain.

I do get what you're saying, and if the OP wants the D90, then get the D90. I was just letting him know that he could get the same results, with less money, and even keep the camera UI that he is used to, because he has a D3000

Just a quick guess, but you have never used a d90? When I had the d5000 I was somewhat defensive as well until I picked up a d90 and used one.. Fwiw.

coastalconn said:
Just a quick guess, but you have never used a d90? When I had the d5000 I was somewhat defensive as well until I picked up a d90 and used one.. Fwiw.

Would I have room to talk if I've never used a D90? Most of my friends have them. Of course I've used one. I'm not saying I didn't like it either. What I am saying, is that I like mine just as much, it gets the same exact quality images, and I paid A LOT less for it.

AaronLLockhart said:
Would I have room to talk if I've never used a D90? Most of my friends have them. Of course I've used one. I'm not saying I didn't like it either. What I am saying, is that I like mine just as much, it gets the same exact quality images, and I paid A LOT less for it.

I totally get what your saying but if the OP already has a d3000 then the d5000 isn't that much of an upgrade. Maybe the sensor is better in the d5000 but it's basically like upgrading to the same camera. And the UI on the d90 is much better then on the d5000. Yes you can customize it so you don't have to menu dive for everything but you still have to use the menu for a lot of options that the d90 has dedicated buttons for. Also, the bigger/brighter viewfinder and the in camera AF motor is worth the extra money IMO.

Basically if you buy the d5000 because it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper - it will eventually be equal to or cost more then the d90 once you buy a decent lens for it. And will more than likely cost more in the long run if you buy more lenses or want to get into off camera flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back