Is this a good price for a D90

Yep would love to go to a more crippled stripped down entry camera like the D5xxx series. Smaller less bright viewfinder so I have to go menu digging and miss the shot. Because of lack of dedicated controls that would allow me to make changes without my eye leaving the viewfinder.

Or being forced to buy the 50mm f1.8G instead of the $75 cheaper 50mm f1.8D And slew of other missing AF for other outstanding AF and AF-D lenses because my entry camera is missing built in motor. Or not able to control my flashes off shoe unless I buy some more radio triggers costing me more $$$ because it's lacking flash commander mode. Or more AF points for faster AF acquisition.

The very reasons many like myself became frustrated and hindered in our first year and needed to upgrade when we could have used that cash for better glass and flash. Never again entry cam for me. I would rather D200 or D80 before a D3xxx or D5xxx series entry camera.

It's a good deal for the average price of the very hyped up D90. However, remember that is exactly what you are paying so much for, is the fact that it's a D90. I say save yourself some cash, and spare yourself of the added buttons and blinking lights and buy a used D5000 in good condition. It's got the EXACT same sensor and anti aliasing sensor of the D90, without the price tag and it will have a UI and feel that you will be used to considering your existing camera.

You can get a D5000 body for $300-350 now. Hell I got mine with kit lens and 50mm 1.8G for $350.

I had the D5000 and returned within 5 days for the D90. Felt like a piece of plastic, wait, it is!

jake337 said:
I had the D5000 and returned within 5 days for the D90. Felt like a piece of plastic, wait, it is!

I love the "plastic vs metal" debate. I've been doing photography for a few years now, and not once have I ever dropped a camera, damaged a lens, or damaged any photographic equipment for that matter. So, don't drop your cam, and it won't matter if it's plastic or metal.

If I were concerned with an autofocus motor, I would have skipped the 90 all together and went for the D300s. Same sensor, better camera. Not to mention they are within a few hundred dollars of each other as far as budget is concerned.

Am I saying the d90 is a bad camera? No, I'm not. However, I am saying that it's over priced and over hyped, and half of the reason people go for models like this is their lack of knowledge that the same tech comes in less expensive equipment. It's kind of like having two camry's with the same specs except one has a bluetooth capable stereo, but Toyota wants $15,000 more for the Bluetooth model. Why would I pay 15,000 more for a car with the same internals, when I can get it for $15k less.

There may be subtle differences, but the image quality is exactly the same. Which is what a photographer truly cares about anyway. So, envy the D90 as you wish, but I will always see it as an over priced Toyota Camry with Bluetooth radio.

Well seems your comparisons are way off.

1) The D90 is not to be compared to the D300. They are two totally different beast. One is prosumer the other Pro.
2) The D90 was an upgrade to the D80. So there is where the comparison should be made.

Overpriced? compared to what? a D300? D5100? Just which comparison to?

And upgrades ARE NOT! just about sensor performance. I see all these sensor fanatics touting High ISO performance this and Sensor that. And 90% of their pictures are shot at 200 iso.

Sometimes it is about real use features that many of us use daily. Like built in motor,Bigger Brighter Viewfinder,Dedicated controls to change settings without the eye leaving the viewfinder to go menu digging. Flash commander mode for operating flashes off shoe. Top lcd for studio,tripod and night work. More AF points for faster AF in getting the shot.

It isn't Always about the Sensor.

I don't buy into the plastic thing. They are both sorta the same build to a degree. For many the D5000 is a fine camera. Many stick with the kit lens so they never have to worry about the focus motor. There are many other advantages to the D90, but it depends on what and how you shoot. I started with a D5000 sold it after awhile for a D90 (try finding a bargain 400 or 500mm lens that will AF with a d5000). I love the D90, but after a while I found the D90 didn't have a few things that I personally needed and ended up grabbing a D300. But I have been shooting birds mostly lately so I really needed the better AF system (not to mention 8 FPS with grip). I also like to use old MF lenses sometimes, so the metering is a great feature. I'm also a big fan of AF fine tune and I also don't worry nearly as much if it starts to rain.. But that is just me and bird photography is very demanding.

The D90 is not over hyped at all in my humble opinion especially for $500...

For general use however all cameras are pretty great these days and I just don't find it necessary to bash anyone for their gear. Everyone really has different needs. Many wouldn't even look at a D300 (non s) because it doesn't have video. Some people will only look at a D5000 because of the flippy screen. That is the great thing with so many options these days, that there is a camera to fit every need and or budget. FWIW my d300 was almost the same price as the D90 in the OP's question

EDIT: sorry orb we were typing at the same time apparently...

Yep coastalconn would be happy with a D300 or even a D200 for better build metering Ai and Ais manual lenses faster AF. As like you mentioned the features needed in real day to day shootings. And will take those features over an entry camera everyday.

And if the D3xxx or D5xxx series entry cams fit others needs. Fine & Dandy and Great! But others shouldn't even try to tout is as a Better Camera or a Better Buy over the D90. As in my needs and opinions it is not. It may be for them. But many like myself it is not.

orb9220 said:
Well seems your comparisons are way off.

1) The D90 is not to be compared to the D300. They are two totally different beast. One is prosumer the other Pro.
2) The D90 was an upgrade to the D80. So there is where the comparison should be made.

Overpriced? compared to what? a D300? D5100? Just which comparison to?

And upgrades ARE NOT! just about sensor performance. I see all these sensor fanatics touting High ISO performance this and Sensor that. And 90% of their pictures are shot at 200 iso.

Sometimes it is about real use features that many of us use daily. Like built in motor,Bigger Brighter Viewfinder,Dedicated controls to change settings without the eye leaving the viewfinder to go menu digging. Flash commander mode for operating flashes off shoe. Top lcd for studio,tripod and night work. More AF points for faster AF in getting the shot.

It isn't Always about the Sensor.

I never compared the D90 to the D300s. All I said is that it has the same sensor as the D90, because it does. It has a better anti aliasing sensor in the D300s, an the D5000 has the exact same sensor AND anti aliasing as the D90, so the shot clarity will not show a single difference between the D5k and the D90. Ken Rockwell even goes into this in his reviews for the units. The D90 is basically a D5000 with more settings, an AF motor in the body, and more blinking lights.

The D300s is a better camera than the D90 without a doubt. However, my point is that if I was even going to consider a D90, I would just fork out the extra coin for the D300s. I was not even close to comparing the two. At, $500.00, the D90 is a great deal. However, I'm referencing the retail price of the camera, because it's not a discontinued model, and the D5k is.

Did you really just try to prove your point citing KR????

Ken Rockwell even goes into this in his reviews for the units. The D90 is basically a D5000 with more settings, an AF motor in the body, and more blinking lights.

The man who admits his website is fiction and not a logical presentation of facts??? Uggggg

"At, $500.00, the D90 is a great deal. However, I'm referencing the retail price of the camera, because it's not a discontinued model, and the D5k is."

And like mentioned a used D90 goes for the same monies as the D5000. Therefore the D90 would be the better deal in my opinion. And irreverent being discontinued or not. As D90 is getting close to that.

As for many another $300-$500 for a used D300 or s is out of reach. It was for me. And would have loved a D300s or D7000 if I had $1000 to let go.

And using words like "blinking lights" means means trying to assign the label frivolous and trying to downplay the usability of features and controls that many find useful in their day to day shooting.

My D300 was $546 :) last month from KEH in "bargain" grade... 6 month warranty... 37K shutter count... "Bargain" grade from KEH is pretty much "exc" grade on ebay... a few small nicks and a small scratch on the top LCD...:popcorn:

My D300 was $546 :) last month from KEH in "bargain" grade... 6 month warranty... 37K shutter count... "Bargain" grade from KEH is pretty much "exc" grade on ebay... a few small nicks and a small scratch on the top LCD...:popcorn:

Cool Great Find as seeing them still in the $650-$750 range depending on condition and what comes with. Hope I have $500-$600 for a replacement when my D90 dies as on very limited income. And "Wanda" just passed 62,000 clicks. So starting to be a bit concerned of her dying and no way to replace her.

coastalconn said:
Did you really just try to prove your point citing KR????

The man who admits his website is fiction and not a logical presentation of facts??? Uggggg

He doesn't say they are "fictional." His reviews are exactly that; reviews. They are observational conclusions and opinions he has came to based off of his analysis and experience with use with the equipment. It's no different than you or I demoing a product and reviewing it over the Internet. He simply states his disclaimer to relinquish himself of any legal issues in the equipment he is reviewing. However, most of his reviews and specs are VERY accurate.

It may not be credible as fact through Nikon, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Comparing to automobiles once again, it's just like having an auto mechanic that isn't ASE certified, but has been working on automobiles for the past 25 years. He will say for legal reasons "this diagnosis may not be 100% accurate." however, he's been working on them and has enough experience in the field that it probably is.

jake337 said:

I love the "plastic vs metal" debate. I've been doing photography for a few years now, and not once have I ever dropped a camera, damaged a lens, or damaged any photographic equipment for that matter. So, don't drop your cam, and it won't matter if it's plastic or metal.

If I were concerned with an autofocus motor, I would have skipped the 90 all together and went for the D300s. Same sensor, better camera. Not to mention they are within a few hundred dollars of each other as far as budget is concerned.

Am I saying the d90 is a bad camera? No, I'm not. However, I am saying that it's over priced and over hyped, and half of the reason people go for models like this is their lack of knowledge that the same tech comes in less expensive equipment. It's kind of like having two camry's with the same specs except one has a bluetooth capable stereo, but Toyota wants $15,000 more for the Bluetooth model. Why would I pay 15,000 more for a car with the same internals, when I can get it for $15k less.

There may be subtle differences, but the image quality is exactly the same. Which is what a photographer truly cares about anyway. So, envy the D90 as you wish, but I will always see it as an over priced Toyota Camry with Bluetooth radio.

My camera has fallen, pushed around, rolled around, "tossed" around, and used heavily in more than suitable environments. I also have a 2 1/2 year old and possibly 5-15 of his cousins at 2-12 years old running around a few times a week. I want a solid came I can trust to take a beating.

I have never dropped it though.

jake337 said:

Yeah that's, most likely, the worst analogy I've seen in a while. Where did you come up with 15k?

Although they have the same sensor, do they have the same filters and electronics around that sensor?

jake337 said:
My camera has fallen, pushed around, rolled around, "tossed" around, and used heavily in more than suitable environments. I also have a 2 1/2 year old and possibly 5-15 of his cousins at 2-12 years old running around a few times a week. I want a solid came I can trust to take a beating.

I have never dropped it though.

I treat my camera like a fine woman; I don't beat them :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back