Is this A hdr picture?

this is just a black and white image that has been "hand colored" in specific areas.

i believe there are lots of threads on this site that go into detail about how to use an editing program to create the same style. A wide variety of programs can do this, not just PS

Called "selective coloring", or that's what I call it and what I've seen it referred as. I don't know if there is a specific name for it or if that's what it is.

There's a sticky thread here about HDR (not sure which section.) A lot of people are just doing tone mapping lately and calling it HDR. I see very few true HDR photos in recent times and most of them have way too much tonemapping as well, in my opinion.

Very bright sky, medium "normally" lighted areas, and dark shadowed areas, take 3 shots exposing each area correctly. Combine them into 1 photo to show everything exposed well, that would be an example of HDR.

Selective colouring is not amazing. It's cliché and overdone. Focus on your photography instead :)

Thanks for the replys ann and rodgers

Everyone has there own opinion on pictures .I asked a ? Not a a critique :lol: But then again we always going to people hating on others GREAT pictures ..Thanks anyways

see ya!

pictureme,

this type of photo is easily made in photoshop. most of the time, you begin with a color photo, select the areas you want to remain colored, then convert everything else to b&w.

I take it this photo is not yours but one you found on flickr and liked and therefore came here to ask how it was done?
In that case it's not supposed to show inside your thread, other than as a link only, as not to confuse the readers who might think it is your own photo. OK?

And there are many a good method in Photoshop to create a selective colouring photo, my method is to create a new layer which I convert into black and white to then use the rubber tool on those things I want back in colour, so the colour from the unaltered layer underneath shines through ...

Selective colouring, it is handy, If you have a shot and you want to bring out a foreground subject from the background, you can simply take out all of or most of the colour in the background. I use it for my sporting images to stamp out background signs. I dont take out all of the colour but most of it.

Just a matter of going into hue/saturation, and taking out certain colours. I say give it a go, and experiment with everything, that way you don't get bored.

Thanks for the replys ann and rodgers

Everyone has there own opinion on pictures .I asked a ? Not a a critique :lol: But then again we always going to people hating on others GREAT pictures ..Thanks anyways

see ya!

My comment was neither a critique nor "hating". I'm simply giving you some advice to help you focus your energies better. Take it or leave it.

If you like the effect, then there are probably better examples out there. Go back to flickr and try searching the photos or groups for "selective colour" (or "selective color").

Edit: I found over 26,000 images and 267 groups, so plenty to choose from (to be fair, many of which were rather dubious)

Last edited:
I take it this photo is not yours but one you found on flickr and liked and therefore came here to ask how it was done?
In that case it's not supposed to show inside your thread, other than as a link only, as not to confuse the readers who might think it is your own photo. OK?

And there are many a good method in Photoshop to create a selective colouring photo, my method is to create a new layer which I convert into black and white to then use the rubber tool on those things I want back in colour, so the colour from the unaltered layer underneath shines through ...

Thanks for the heads up lafoto

and thank all you for the replys .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back