Is this element misalignment or something else?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by purpleroan, Sep 18, 2017.

1. purpleroan

purpleroan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep getting images like the attached one that just appear soft for some reason (this is straight out of camera). I thought it might have been camera shake, but I was shooting at 1/1600th, and I'm typically a very stable person. Any thoughts? It was taken on a 70-200mm f/2.9 is ii usm with a 5d mk iii body. I'm just about ready to send the lens in but figured I'd post here first. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Was the IS on? IS takes time to speed up to be ready to counter handshake and in the initial few moments when its speeding up it can introduce shake of its own. So a quick snap shot might well appear softer than it should. It's why if you're shooting as you are, ergo fast enough that you shouldn't have to worry about handshake, many will turn the IS off so that they can point and shoot as fast as the AF locks without having to wait a few moments to get the IS working.

3. purpleroan

purpleroan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmm..I believe it was. Actually, I remember turning it on that morning because it had been been off for some other reason on a previous shoot. I wasn't aware that could cause an issue though. Are you saying it must speed up every time focusing occurs? That'd make a lot of sense, as it seems to have happened for the entirety of the shoot. On the other hand, if you're implying its just when its first turned on, then I'm not too sure thats what it may be. Thanks so much for your input!!

4. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Each time you press the shutter to half way the IS engages and starts to work. From that moment it has to take a few moments to detect and then counter the vibrations of the lens and camera. So its just like the AF in that it takes a moment to get ready for a shot. IT's not a huge length of time, but in sports it can make a serious difference.

One way to resolve the matter (asides from turning the IS off of course) is to follow the action in advance of the moment of the shot; this way you've already got the shutter half depressed and the IS running. If you use back-button AF control this means you can half press the shutter to get the IS working even if you don't yet need the AF working.

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

There is no camera shake at 1/1600th. It is better to turn the IS off because it can affect image quality negatively. My guess is that the lens is soft at whichever zoom setting you chose - probably fully extended. If an element were loose, the image would be far worse.

6. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To me the grass in front looks sharper than the person.
    Have you tried focussing on a still object from a tripod?
    If it is a front focus issue, the 5D III has micro adjustment. But that only works if the issue appears over the complete zoom range. Datacolor has a nice tool called spyder lenscal that makes adjustments easier.

7. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been considering my own soft focus issues and think I remember something about shooting on the lowest fstop will leave a soft focus. Your f2.9 is better than my kit f3.5 to f4 but only slightly and even still if you're all the way down at 2.9 thats your minimum. Not sure if thats the setting you were using but can try to not test the limits of the lens and keep it up around f8 or so especially for sports and distance shots where you're not going for bokeh or soft focus anyway.

He's moving and you haven't said what you do to get good focus or what focusing mode you were on though with that equipment I'd assume you know various methods and are using them properly.

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    A few thoughts
    1) The 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII is very sharp even at f2.8 at the 200mm end. It can more than stand up to being used wide open at any focal length and should deliver sharp results - all other properties being suitable for a sharp shot.

2) If it were a damaged element I'd expect it to appear every single time without error.

3) A subject moving toward the camera is one of the most challenging things for AF to work with because the subject is constantly moving the plane of focus. This can make it more risky and more likely to get miss-focuses than if the subject is moving across the view instead of toward the viewer.

9. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    exif says 1/1000.

but looking at the image, i want to say the camera was moving (look at the BG) and you had IS on and the combo was causing your soft photo.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Most of the time IS/VR/OS etc should be turned off.
    IS/VR/OS basically can't react fast enough for shutter speeds faster than about 1/500 of a second and then becomes an added battery drain that gives zero benefit.

If your camera has IS/VR/OS in the camera body rather than in the lens it can't correct camera movement with as much amplitude as in the lens IS/VR/OS can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. purpleroan

purpleroan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so a couple corrections..
    I accidentally posted 2.9 rather than 2.8, and for that I apologize. Furthermore, I posted 1/1600th but it was apparently 1/1000th, however the issue was still occurring at the higher speed, so it's all more or less the same.

I have not tried focusing on a tripod since I don't currently own one, it rarely becomes necessary for my main shoots. It's very interesting though, what many of you are saying about the IS, as this is something I was not aware of. I think I will refrain from sending it off asap, as I have a handful of sports events coming up next weekend, and wish to see if the issue is still present with the IS off. I'm very grateful for all this information, and anybody has anything further to add I'd love to hear it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the lens was focused slightly in front of the player. I don't think it's a lens issue as around the edges of the picture it's about the same. If there were a loose element it would show worse in a corner. I also agree with the high shutter speeds IS/VR/OS should be off.

To check your lens. Since you don't have a tripod. Set your camera on a sturdy object. Set a lens test target on something appropriate distance away and focus on it. Then if you don't have a remote release, use the cameras self timer. If you really want to be accurate mirror lockup as well.

Look up lens focus test online. Don't buy anything. Self printed targets are available online. And or you can use something like a ruler!.