Is this Just Another Pretty Picture?

Terri - Thanks for the kind words. You're right about the sunrise, in that it isn't really the subject. I liked the entire scene, and was trying to capture the feel and look of the place. It's a bad way to take a photo, but I do like the result. It was just a see-shoot-think response, when the "shoot" should have come last.

Walt, if you live in Vancouver, I'm jealous of you. It's a great city: I really enjoyed my four hours there. A trip up the BC coast will show you most of what I saw on the cruise. Unless you like being cold, only get on boats southbound.

2stupid2duck, you convinced me not to get this photo enlarged. Those wires and lights will always bug me, as they don't add anything to the photo (besides clutter). I never even saw them lit.

In general, there's a limit to how much cropping I can do to this photo, as it's only a 5MP capture. (Sony F828) In 4-6 weeks, according to the Apple website, I'll have a new computer that will get a proper calibration and a copy of Photoshop Elements. That will extend my capabilities a lot - but I hate falling into the trap of thinking I need an equipment upgrade to finally let me do some good work. Until then, I guess I just need to take better photos.

Has anyone considered cropping the right border enough to make the major light and pole the main subject by placing it in the 1/3 vertical?

Sunrise590.jpg

I can't decide if that's better or not... I like what it does for the composition, but it draws my attention to those two cows in the background.

matthew robertson said:
Sunrise590.jpg

I can't decide if that's better or not... I like what it does for the composition, but it draws my attention to the people in the background.

I agree with you--my opinion exactly.

You shouldn't call those people cows! :lol:
I like that crop better.
Thanks Matthew, this is a great city. Been here for 3 years now and I like it more all the time.

Ip refer the second image. This is very interesting photo for me and I think that if you accept the photo than it is ok. Don't care what others say only try improving your photos. Because if you enjou them, you will be proud of yourself quite enough. This is my motto :)

canonrebel said:
matthew robertson said:
I can't decide if that's better or not... I like what it does for the composition, but it draws my attention to the people in the background.

I agree with you--my opinion exactly.

That wasn't exactly my opinion -- I said "cows," not "people". When I call them cows, I mean cows.

SunriseCowsL.jpg

(It doesn't show up as well in the web-friendly version, so that's a 100% crop. Not that I meant for there to be a little bit of misinterpretation....)

terri said:
I prefer the original image. If you absolutely HAVE to do anything to it, then go ahead and crop or stamp out the half-light on the right side. But the rest of this image is lovely exactly as it is. The larger version of the image you included on your first post clearly shows this image is perfectly exposed. There is visible detail in your shadows, on the deck chairs and that beautiful wet, gleaming deck. I love the sky reflection in the deck. I love the ghostly blue tones of this picture, it lets you feel that it is, indeed, just early dawn light. The few silhouetted figures add to the scene. I can easily see an image like this accompanying an article about a ship's voyage - the big sky, the lonely feel. Wonderful!

The enlarged version of the lightened image shows a lesser feel of mystery in the image, and the loss of contrast only makes it flat and less interesting. Stick with your original version. I don't think the sunrise is the central point of this picture - even if that's what you had it in mind, it's not what you ended up with, and it works! Even the nearest lightpole is just off-center, so it also works. It looks off the cuff, yet planned. Very nice work! :D

ditto

matthew robertson said:
matthew robertson said:

That wasn't exactly my opinion -- I said "cows," not "people". When I call them cows, I mean cows.

(It doesn't show up as well in the web-friendly version, so that's a 100% crop. Not that I meant for there to be a little bit of misinterpretation....)

Perhaps you could have been more specific--I wasn't the only one that mis-interpreted your comment. I didn't even see the cows because on my monitor there wasn't enough detail in the shadows to even bother analyzing the content.

Well. I like the lights a lot.

They look a little unreal and add nice contrast in the origional.

The wires could be deleted, but the solid colored lights make the picture unique and not "just another sunset shot". In fact, if you are editing it, I'd try to focus attention on the lights.

--Trav--

Most reactions

New Topics

Back