is this too overdone?

JustAMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im guessing it is... i kind of like it... i think... but maybe her face is too washed out/over exposed or something... i might only like it because i took it though, its always good to get an outsiders impression.

My only problem is the lighting. It looks like you used a on-camera flash which washed out her face and also got rid of a lot of detail.

yep this is always my problem the on camera flash but i cant take pictures outside, and the other settings are too blurry cuz she moves around too much. :(

Hmmm. Use natural light. That's what I do. Turn the flash off and just use the natural light in the room. If you set the shutter speed (I'm assuming you're using a somewhat manual camera) you can set it hight enough to freeze action as long as you don't move.

i have a nikon d40
what settings would you recommend. i might need to open my windows as they are frosted.

Well, I don't shoot digital nor do I shoot Nikon. I'm strictly Canon film, but I do know that both brands have similar "modes" to help you.

I use AV a lot (which is aperture priority, which means I can adjust the aperture and the camera chooses the shutter). You could do it that way. If you're shooting in low light with no flash, crank open that apterture. Like no more than f3. The bigger the aperture (the smaller the number), the more ambient light will be able to hit the sensor.

In TV (or shutter speed priority, you choose the shutter and the camera chooses the aperture) you can set it high and freeze action, but be careful, watch the aperture because if it is too small (the higher the number) it'll let in less light and come out really underexposed.

One of those 2 modes will be better than doing what you're doing. I only use natural light as a flash is a little too expensive for me right now and to be honest, I love using nothing but ambient light. Again, I believe the mode names are different on a Nikon, but the functions are the same, you might want to read your manual. Someone else might be able to help you out more with the Nikon d40 and be able to give you more info on shutter speed. I haven't worked in TV mode very much...

thank you weaving for your input. im going to bookmark this for te next time i photograph. i really appreciate your input and advice.. this is something ive been trying to figure out!!

Good! I'm glad that what little knowledge I have is helping you! Keep shooting!

i think i should maybe try reading the manual on this camera instead of using this like a point and shoot LOL

Yeah, for that kind of money I would!

If you want to try using natural light indoors, try placing her close to a bright window. When I'm trying to shoot my own small, uncooperative subjects, I will use a shutter speed of AT LEAST 1/80 if not a little faster.

Try experimenting with your 'A' mode (aperture priority). Since you are probably very close to your subject when you a shooting, a large aperture may give you a *very* shallow DOF. For instance, the tip of her nose may be in focus, but everything else will be getting soft. On the other hand, an aperture that is too small wont allow enough light in and require an unaccetably long shutter speed.

When I'm using natural light indoors on my own kids, I'm generally in the range of f/4, but your situation may be quite different depending on how far away you are from your subject and the light that you are working with.

I hope this rambling makes sense!

~jen

Most reactions

Back