Is your camera good?

plus if it is good enough for the white house it is good enough for their sorry azzes. I am sure they would have you do it then.

It was interesting that they asked me this question. I don't think it has to do with cell phone or DSLR to shoot with. It is really all about the quality of the photographs they are interested. I have been volunteering with several nonprofit organizations for a while. For some reasons, they like my photographs and they take these serious. They need good quality photographs for marketing and social media. That is the only way they can raise money for their organizations. One time, I brought my DSLR to shoot preschool kids. A marketing director was with me and asked me "Your camera is good, right?" After the photo op and pp, she likes my photos and keeps asking me to do more photo op.

Last edited:
My camera is like a good girlfriend: very good, very capable, very experienced. Good when it needs to be good, but also capable of being naughty, very naughty, when the time for that is right...

It's reliable, yes.

It was interesting that they asked me this question. I don't think it has to do with cell phone or DSLR to shoot with. It is really all about the quality of the photographs they are interested. I have been volunteering with several nonprofit organizations for a while. For some reasons, they like my photographs and they take these serious. They need good quality photographs for marketing and social media. That is the only way they can raise money for their organizations. One time, I brought my DSLR to shoot preschool kids. A marketing director was with me and asked me "Your camera is good, right?" After the photo op and pp, she likes my photos and keeps asking me to do more photo op.
But in the mean time it is your money and time gone. Suppose if it leads to paid gigs i can see it. But at some point, (maybe when they are questioning my equipment investment) i think i would start to feel a little taken advantage of. Even many non profits actually have profit. Don't let them kid you. Volunteering is great, but to a limit, that is your call though.

Several volunteering interviewers asked me one of the questions,"Is your camera good?" Just curious, what is your answer?
"Most of the time. But sometimes it just really needs a little tough love or a time out."

But in the mean time it is your money and time gone. Suppose if it leads to paid gigs i can see it. But at some point, (maybe when they are questioning my equipment investment) i think i would start to feel a little taken advantage of. Even many non profits actually have profit. Don't let them kid you. Volunteering is great, but to a limit, that is your call though.

Well, I got something in return. It is not a whole lot. Most of the images I shot at iso 800 and 1600 because the crappy indoor lighting. There are certain amounts of noises and they don't even notice. I submit to them 2mp images, and that is not even high res. They are appreciated what I'm doing, and they know my limitation. I just don't worry too much about they are taken advantage of me.

If you believe in the cause then offering your skill as opposed to a cash donation is a very valid way to support a charity. I know we've several photographers on-site who donate their time to local animal shelters where really good clear and happy animal photos make a vast difference in the number of re-homings.

If I believed everything I've read online this past 15 years the question should be, "Are your lenses good (of the highest quality)?"

I know people get insulted by the "is your camera good " question. A few have asked me (mostly friends or relations) and I say yes, I mean why would I pay 1000 euro for a camera when I can buy a camera for 50 euro.

My father would often see a photo I took hanging on the wall and say thats nice, your camera is good, but he knows I often save, buy, sell or trade different cameras etc. He doesn't really understand more about a camera than you just point it at something to take a picture, because phothography isn't his thing.

I have heard the artist brush, the cooks stove comparisons, but a lot of hobbies have different levels of equipment, and I never heard anyone doing other hobbies get offended because someone asked about their specific gear

"It doesn't matter - it's just a little box that records images and the real camera is between my ears"

When they ask you for a copyright release at walmart, simply telling them you have a good camera can be a quick way to convince them the prints are yours. Comical!

I usually answer "nah but it'll have to do"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back