ISO, Apertures, and Shutter

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
f/2.8 is pretty soft. I think i'd be sharper at f/4.5 or f/5.6

The problem looks like it lies in your metering mode (especially in the last two). I’m guessing you used a metering mode that evaluated the entire frame. This can be a problem in contrasty scenes: light subjects (or faces) against a very dark background.

Keep in mind how your camera's metering system works: it looks at the scene and tries to average it out to an average exposure (Ansel Adem called this Zone 5 in his zone system; right smack in the middle). This is usually fine but in high contrast scenes, it's not so fine. To get that average your camera will lighten the darkness and darken the lightness.

I’m guessing your camera looked at the white-skinned couple and that huge dark background and tried to average it out. End result: lighter darks and darker whites -- literally.

Next time I’d try center-weight metering the couple. This way your exposure would have favored the couple’s faces rather than all that darkness. Sure, you may not capture some of the background but both ends may be outside of your camera's dynamic range.

Your white balance looks off too me... or is that my iPhone screen?

The problem looks like it lies in your metering mode (especially in the last two). I’m guessing you used a metering mode that evaluated the entire frame. This can be a problem in contrasty scenes: light subjects (or faces) against a very dark background.

Keep in mind how your camera's metering system works: it looks at the scene and tries to average it out to an average exposure (Ansel Adem called this Zone 5 in his zone system; right smack in the middle). This is usually fine but in high contrast scenes, it's not so fine. To get that average your camera will lighten the darkness and darken the lightness.

I’m guessing your camera looked at the white-skinned couple and that huge dark background and tried to average it out. End result: lighter darks and darker whites -- literally.

Next time I’d try center-weight metering the couple. This way your exposure would have favored the couple’s faces rather than all that darkness. Sure, you may not capture some of the background but both ends may be outside of your camera's dynamic range.

Ok, well I recently read that D80 users (such as myself) have been chasing after their so desired shot that they forget to consider metering. For the last 8 months I've been weening myself off of the auto mode and now have NO fear of manual (yay!).

So on to metering . . .

Thanks for your reply.

Why did these pictures turn out so . . . blah????
Underexposure, w/b is off, camera's not level, subjects don't fill the frame, poor composition, little creativity, etc.

Some are technical issues that will go away as you learn about your camera, and some are artistic and you'll be developing that skillset forever.

Why did these pictures turn out so . . . blah????
Underexposure, w/b is off, camera's not level, subjects don't fill the frame, poor composition, little creativity, etc.

Composition? As far as what? These aren't the only pictures I took.
Just need some lighting tips.

These are the post ceremony pictures, with some obvious editing. C&C if you will

DSC_09191.jpg

DSC_08261.jpg

DSC_08161.jpg

Most reactions

Back