ISO vs. Shutter Speed

Irishwake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't seem to find a straight answer in my search, and this should be a simple yes/no. I have yet to purchase my first dSLR and am currently using a Sony P&S, and the only option I have in manual mode to adjust the exposure is ISO, I have no setting for shutter.

Can you adjust ISO and shutter speed independent of one another on most dSLR cameras?

Thanks!

As I understand it, ISO is the adjustment of the sensors sensitivity to light. Shutter speed is just how long the shutter is open.

Heh, well that's what I was thinking, but nowhere does it specifically state that.

I was asking because my camera boasts it's ability to adjust exposure in manual mode, and yet when I go outside to shoot pictures in manual I get massive noise because I have to set the ISO so high. Anything below ~600 ISO gets nice clarity however they are overexposed since I can't manually adjust the values.

Obviously I can adjust the balance in photoshop but, for the sake of the thread, I simply couldn't find a straight answer.

joy of SLRs is that you can control EVERYTHING in it. Although, I got to say, as much as control you get in SLR, I do miss shooting medium format.

Heh, well that's what I was thinking, but nowhere does it specifically state that.

I was asking because my camera boasts it's ability to adjust exposure in manual mode, and yet when I go outside to shoot pictures in manual I get massive noise because I have to set the ISO so high. Anything below ~600 ISO gets nice clarity however they are overexposed since I can't manually adjust the values.

Obviously I can adjust the balance in photoshop but, for the sake of the thread, I simply couldn't find a straight answer.

I understand and you came to the right place. I was just helping you along in your thinking. Always helps me if I think things through even when someone gives me the answer. Sounds like you are going to be getting a new camera soon. Good luck!

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't seem to find a straight answer in my search, and this should be a simple yes/no. I have yet to purchase my first dSLR and am currently using a Sony P&S, and the only option I have in manual mode to adjust the exposure is ISO, I have no setting for shutter.

Can you adjust ISO and shutter speed independent of one another on most dSLR cameras?
All DSLRs give you the option to shoot in Av (Aperture Priority - you choose aperture and camera adjusts shutter speed to match), Tv (Shutter Priority - you choose shutter speed and camera adjusts aperture to match) and M (manual...you choose each setting to get the creatively correct exposure). Some offer AUTO (no input from photographer mode - camera makes all the exposure decisions) and P (Program AE Mode - semi auto mode...similar to AUTO but gives you control of some functions).

my camera has a "Barney the Dinosaur" mode that lets me shoot flashy things without changing any settings :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back