ISO vs "Takes great low light photos"

So for Sonys, the viewfinder is electronic? How the hell do you focus in low light????

Signal is boosted so the EVF is actually brighter in low light than OVF. In manual mode the camera will highlight sharp contrast over the whole field of view, confirming focus. You can also zoom in to any part of the image to further refine your focus.

So for Sonys, the viewfinder is electronic? How the hell do you focus in low light????

If the EVF were perfect, I'd think it'd be easier, actually. You could use electronic gain to see more. If peaking works well in low light, even better, since the peaking indicator would illuminate.

I get the advantages of EVF, I just can't believe that there are no disadvantages in the way that Koila and Skiuer go on about. I used an SLT in Bestbuy for a few minutes, it was better than I expected. But a hybrid, something like a OVF with an HUD-like interface for stuff like peaking, clipping, histogram, artificial horizon, etc, would have been better.

unpopular said:
If the EVF were perfect, I'd think it'd be easier, actually. You could use electronic gain to see more. If peaking works well in low light, even better, since the peaking indicator would illuminate.

I get the advantages of EVF, I just can't believe that there are no disadvantages in the way that Koila and Skiuer go on about. I used an SLT in Bestbuy for a few minutes, it was better than I expected. But a hybrid, something like a OVF with an HUD-like interface for stuff like peaking, clipping, histogram, artificial horizon, etc, would have been better.

You can not judge a camera that you only tried for a few minutes in the store. To be fair, EVF is wierd and feels awkward to use at first. But once you get used to it, it makes your photography easier. The advantage you gain with the EVF outweights the disadvantage against the OVF.

What disadvantage are you thinking about ?

Other than not being able to see thru the camera when it is off ?

Everybody who tried my camera and didn't know about the EVF had no idea they where looking at a tv screen if I removed all the extra information it can display.

What advantages does an OVF have ? It has less information, minimal manual focus assist, it can leak light if using live view with no cover and on entry to mid level camera it doesn't provide 100% coverage.

Seriously, quoting Sony's EVF as a drawback is a mistake. Blame the high ISO noise and the light weight feel of the body if you want, there is no denying those. But the EVF is a nice addition.

As I said, I just can't believe there are no disadvantages. I can't believe in low light that there is still no lag. Maybe, IDK. I just have my doubts.

The only time you would see some lag is when shooting in near darkness. A shoot taken at 1/10 sec f2.8 and 12,000 ISO for example. Comparing with friends camera (Nikon and Canon), the alternative to some lag is almost no visibility at all... In real life, you wouldn't complain.

Any other situation, setting my lens to 50mm and looking with both eyes, the images overlap and there is no difference.

The colors aren't perfect either. But on the other hand, even the RAW file won't capture all of the details anyway.

It's a different feel to the camera and everybody is entitled to their preferences.

Kolia said:
The only time you would see some lag is when shooting in near darkness. A shoot taken at 1/10 sec f2.8 and 12,000 ISO for example. Comparing with friends camera (Nikon and Canon), the alternative to some lag is almost no visibility at all... In real life, you wouldn't complain.

Any other situation, setting my lens to 50mm and looking with both eyes, the images overlap and there is no difference.

The colors aren't perfect either. But on the other hand, even the RAW file won't capture all of the details anyway.

It's a different feel to the camera and everybody is entitled to their preferences.

Your friends must have aps-c pentamirror viewfinders, because a pentaprism full frame viewfinder is big and bright.

There, comparing the EVF to full frame pentamirror costing 2-3 times more again.

Kolia said:
There, comparing the EVF to full frame pentamirror costing 2-3 times more again.

One of mine is going for $800. Not exactly 2-3x more. Or even close.

Used vs new prices now ?

These are strange metrics to compare cameras.

fanboys. no matter what they're a fan of, they suck.

And haters will hate...

You can not judge a camera that you only tried for a few minutes in the store. To be fair, EVF is wierd and feels awkward to use at first. But once you get used to it, it makes your photography easier. The advantage you gain with the EVF outweights the disadvantage against the OVF.

No, I said "IF the EVF was perfect". I don't know if the low light problem has been addressed. If the EVF really does measure up, I can certainly see the advantages.

Nothing is perfect. Not in most people's price range anyways.

What specific situation do you have in mind when thinking low light lag ? It's an honest question I'm not looking for a fight. I'm trying to see it your way.

I am under the presumption that ISO was always a camer's sensitivity to light in its contribution to exposure but does that necessarily always correlate with taking great night time photos? Reason why I bring this up is that I always tend to hear that the Sony a77 is great in low light conditions but noisy at higher ISO levels....

Thanks!

To get the best night photos, use a LOW ISO. Yep, you heard me. ISO creates grain/noise in the dark areas. If you are shooting a night scene and there is a lot of dark areas you will have noise. Turn the ISO down to 100 or 200, use a tri-pod and set a correct exposure. Who cares if it is a 1 second exposure or 10 second exposure. For a clean night shot, use the shutter speed to adjust exposures not ISO. (mind you this is for non moving subjects such as sky lines, buildings lit with spot lights, etc.)

Most reactions

Back