It never turns out the way I want it!

Radical

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Set up the other day to take some pics of whitail deer that were coming through just after sun down. Got all set up and decided to change my ISO from 200 to 400,( because they never come through until the sun is down.) so I'm standing there on the down wind side of the trail with the sun in my eye's when here they all come. Go figure, So these pics are not what I was trying for but oh well.
$_DSC0001.JPG #3 $_DSC0011.JPG #4 $_DSC0018.JPG #5 $_DSC0013.JPG #6 $_DSC0004.JPG
$_DSC0002.JPG

Yeah, these aren't particularly interesting. Sorry they didn't work out for you.

What are you trying for? I see about three here that are pretty ok. Not gonna win any wildlife awards, but pleasing pictures of an attractive animal.

This is pretty much what deer look like. They're designed to blend in to the background, so that's what they do ;)

when your subject is back lit you need to do one of 2 things:
1. Spot meter your subject for a correct exposure and let the background blow out (be over exposed).

2. Use flash to fill and balance the subject exposure with the bright back lighting.

Why are #3, #4, and #5 above, and which is #1, #2 and #6? :lol:

Controlling depth of field so the background is out of focus would help separate the deer from the clutter, but even then the deer are designed to blend into their surroundings making it difficult to make them 'pop'.

_DSC0013Edit_zps548c4b4c.jpg

Last edited:
The background is the biggest issue. Deer have that color fur for a reason to blend in with the trees and thus not be easily seen.

Keep an eye on the background when shooting.

I was trying to get them playing around with one another, I have been watching them for a week but they changed there plans on this day and came through so fast I had to stop them to get a shot. The rest of the herd walked behind me where I could'nt get a shot at all.

KmH thanks I'll try that next time.

It is the first time I ever down loaded this many pics so being a rookie I got screwed up.

I am not a pro and you already have very good comments, but I think you did pretty good, I like #4, it has a nice surprised expression, I like #2 also, I think the composition is pretty good and it shows the animal it its natural surroundings.
It all depends on what you want to achieve!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back