It's edited why does it still look dull

booda303

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_2086.jpg

Honestly, it looks more like a lighting issue than an editing problem.

What editing steps did you apply? What does the original look like?

Wow , you're good ! I don't have ceiling lights only lamps at home. This was taken by the window but it is cloudy. Any thing I can purchase that's not expensive for lighting at home ?

Wow , you're good ! I don't have ceiling lights only lamps at home. This was taken by the window but it is cloudy. Any thing I can purchase that's not expensive for lighting at home ?

First step is to get the book Light, Science and Magic.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
White poster boards can be used to bounce lamps off of, creating relatively large, soft light sources. A 20x30 inch or 30x40 (approximate measurements) poster board from an office supply store will be a big light source, compared to a bangle or ring or watch. Controlling the angle the light hits the jewelry is important; incidence angle equals reflection angle, and where the camera is positioned relative to the subject,and the lights, determines the reflections you will achieve, and determines the effectiveness of the lighting set-up for every shot.

The placement and size/shape of what is called the diffuse highlight (not the specular, but the diffuse highlight] reveals the majority of the shape and texture of all objects. Your jewelry looks flat because the lighting does not create a lot of visual excitement; the cloudy day window light is rather "flat", not dramatic.

Many stores that sell jewelry use a lot of small, point-souce quartz-halogen ceiling-mounted bulbs which create a good number of light sources that create specular highlights; this is a major difference, since your lighting is soft and low in contrast; some "punch!" from a small, brilliant light source might be a nice addition.

Furthermore, pretty much everything appears out-of-focus. Sometimes that's the intent, for softness, but, in this case, it simply makes everything look... well... out-of-focus.

Just my humble, inexperienced, opinion. ICBW.

The biggest issue I have with the lighting is that the light is on the left but the subject is turned to the right.

Try angling the subject a little more towards the light. Not enough to lose the shadows on the lettering but you need the subject to face the light more.

If you were to change the light source I would agree with Derrel that a bright point source is the best bet to give you the sparkle you are looking for.

When I first viewed the smaller version, I thought your camera focused on the box, but when I enlarge it, I see that nothing is sharp. Jewelry should be sharp. You might just have a soft lens.

I don't think you should try posing the bracelet along with anything behind it, as whatever is behind will most likely be out of focus, and will definitely be a distraction. Figure out a different pose.

You can use diffused lighting, or direct lighting, or a combination of the two types, but you're going to have to set it up better. I'd try both a softbox for general light, and a bare bulb to get some specular highlights.

Learn lighting.

Furthermore, pretty much everything appears out-of-focus. Sometimes that's the intent, for softness, but, in this case, it simply makes everything look... well... out-of-focus.

Just my humble, inexperienced, opinion. ICBW.
Ahhhh , I didn't want to focus on the pandora name but I tried to focus on the bracelet. . Guess I missed that too.

When I first viewed the smaller version, I thought your camera focused on the box, but when I enlarge it, I see that nothing is sharp. Jewelry should be sharp. You might just have a soft lens.

I don't think you should try posing the bracelet along with anything behind it, as whatever is behind will most likely be out of focus, and will definitely be a distraction. Figure out a different pose.

You can use diffused lighting, or direct lighting, or a combination of the two types, but you're going to have to set it up better. I'd try both a softbox for general light, and a bare bulb to get some specular highlights.

Learn lighting.

Too much junk in the back. I'm going to try to take it again soon and repost with the suggestions given to me.

As Sparky said, the lighting.

Both the light quality and the light direction are giving the image that dull look.
Boosting the mid-tone contrast will help make it look sharper, without introducing a bunch of sharpening artifacts.
It would really be helpful knowing what edits you did and what editing application you used.

The book recommended - Light: Science and Magic is so often recommended it's in it's 5th edition.

Both the light quality and the light direction are giving the image that dull look.
Boosting the mid-tone contrast will help make it look sharper, without introducing a bunch of sharpening artifacts.
It would really be helpful knowing what edits you did and what editing application you used.

The book recommended - Light: Science and Magic is so often recommended it's in it's 5th edition.

I have light room but I haven't experimented much. All I know is the simple exposure and contrast. I have learned not to use pop of flash and if i do I have to diffuse it. I heard taking pictures with natural light is best. I tried that with the bracelet today but it flopped.

IMG_2098.JPG
I will get the white paper soon to make this work and also read up on my lighting. For now I tried the not so much junk in the back ground but this was all I had with not so much junk. This time I focused on the little heart. I used flash but diffused it with paper. Probably not much different.

Most reactions

Back