ive been asked to take a pic for a cd cover

rein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
as what the title says, my friend asked me to take a picture of her for a cd cover, its for free btw(maybe i should charge her *wink)

here is the message i got from my friend (its 2 part,top was for her bottom for me)

jahzel,

would you like to be on the cover of my CD that's coming out july 19th? i need a black and white of you holding up the number one sign and your pic can't be centered, it has to be off to the left if you know what i mean? please let me know if you're interested.

thanks!!!
shy

rein,

wanna take this shoot for dj shy from kiss fm for the cover of his cd??

I SAID YES,
she said she has a photographer,but she figured i would want the opportunity.

(i wanted to put this in the begginers section,but i think i will get better responses here.)

IT WILL BE A MIX OF RNB AND HIP HOP

any advices?

1 pose?
2 location?
3 smiling?

im nervous,need it before friday

thanks!

It sounds like dj Shy already has something in mind for what he wants the cover to look like.

What type of advice are you looking for?

yup he does, i have a faint idea on what to do.

i need technical advices on how to approach this shoot, like what kind of scene should i use for the background?

i dont have any lighting equipment (but i can buy a speedlite flash and learn how to use it real quick if needed) so im thinking of just on site lite or the sunlight.

should i be credited for this in anyway eventhough its free?

actually let me ask her on what kind of music will be in it.

yup he does, i have a faint idea on what to do.

i need technical advices on how to approach this shoot, like what kind of scene should i use for the background?

A DJ from Kiss FM. Most people listen to the radio in their car, so having cars in the background would be cool. Also, people listen at work, so maybe an industrial setting, kinda grungy feel?

What kind of music?

I did a quick search, is this Kiss Fm from chicago?

yes it is from chicago. here is a pic of my friend (the model)
ahpsized-1.jpg

Go to the not-so-great parts of town, do location scouting, buy a few speedlights, and blast them with hard light from all angles to give them the shiny plasticly, but hardcore look.

EDIT: Something like this,

2581848973_a7844a3a89_o.jpg

That was with 5 speedlights, two speedlights as key for left model, another behind her raking the van, one light inside the van for the kicker on the right model, and another speedlight for the key for the left model.

All hard light, and if you shoot Nikon, you can just do it through CLS like I did above.

BTW this was from the Eugene Strobist meet, so anyone in Oregon, come to the Eugene and PDX meets!!

You can also do something like this where you create a mood with a silhouette, but just put a smidgen of light on them for fill so you can see their faces:

2412404760_7d936b0222_o.jpg

That was with 2 speedlights, one clamped up on the power cords above them (you can see it), and another at their feet gelled red.

thanks! but budget is a problem with the advice, i can only afford one flash at this moment and i got about a week to take the shot.

the tricky part here is shes holding a number 1 sign

Whether shes holding the #1 sign or doing a Heil Hitler salute, the pose is probably going to be the least of your concerns. Finding the right location, and as Switch mentioned, getting the light right is key here.

ok, maybe inside a mall with lots of people then maybe a slow shutter to blur the people for an effecT? or by a train station platform, maybe

Does the mall or the train station have anything to do with the ARTISTS music (since it seems like the model being a DJ is inconsequential here).

good point, but the model is not the dj, yea ur right, i need to make it urbanish since its a hip hop rnb album

Whats the nationality of the singer. Do you know the type of music that it is, the theme running through the album - is there even a theme (hell really doesn't need to be - Lil Waynes new album cover is pretty cute with the lil baby w/ an afro on it - no doubt has sod all to do with the content).

EDIT: Ok. The CD is DJ SHY. The model is just a model. I thought the model was the DJ who was appearing on some other fellas album.

hip hop rnd i think,and i would assume that it will be an album of remixes by other artist. so no theme i guess, but let me ask that

I would do something fun and crazy, maybe in like an alley with the model and her with some headphones on listening to the song and possibly dancing... just a though, maybe put her on the hood of a car?

Just some thoughts

oooh, hood of my car sounds nice, weee heheheh got he idea now,

my car, her on the hood, headphones ,and her saying number one hehehe

Most reactions

Back