I've hit the wall...

That's a pretty damn long exposure!

I'm trying to find the motivation to shoot something tonight.... meh:gah:

Haha maybe we can get together sometime and you can teach me a thing or two! I canceled that shot of the stars cause the clouds were coming in pretty hard. The skies are unbelievable at my camp, so I'm looking forward to next weekend.

You can also get the 1.4 in your wishlist! Such thin DOF wide open, and dim light environments will sure help out. I'm sure you could find things at your home to shoot. It gets quite creative.

When I first got my 1.4, I was shooting beer cans, wine bottles, pool balls, and other office supplies at my work. It was pretty cool to play with the aperture.

Haha maybe we can get together sometime and you can teach me a thing or two! I canceled that shot of the stars cause the clouds were coming in pretty hard. The skies are unbelievable at my camp, so I'm looking forward to next weekend.
I don't know about teaching :lol:, but I'm game to experiment with some stuff. :thumbup:

I miss the stars out in the middle of no where camps.

This is what I came up with, not sure how I feel about it. Background is real and not PS in.

I have little to contribute except to say "I feel you". I abandoned my 365 on day 6. I found it counter-productive, but in my case I already have a pretty rigorous shooting schedule for the year - at least two creative model sessions a week, and then I need to process my trigger-happy results... plus run a business with +150 employees, and take care of a family... wait, is that a bunch of bull**** excuses right there?

The point is - shoot! But every day you don't shoot, at least spend some time processing. Also, go ahead and surf the web. It may seem like a guilty pleasure, but make it something productive. Set up some Favs on Flickr, collect images you admire, and build a list of shots to emulate. I write this a lot, but consider copying shots. I have no idea where this notion comes from that every image needs to be a work of breath-taking brilliance and originality... Every burgeoning guitarist mangles Stairway to Heaven and Smoke on the Water in the first few weeks, why not do the same photographically? You'll come up with your own version soon enough... If you're a writer you need the discipline to sit and write every day, but most writers spend all their free time reading. Surf for images, but being on gear forums does NOT count as being productive ;-)

I said this at the start(that you would end up shooting crap) when everyone said they were going to do a 365, they are a total waste of time

Don't walk to shoot; walk, then shoot.

The best advice I can offer. Take the camera along. If you don't take something one day, then leave the day blank. Think of it not as a choice but as an opportunity.

I am very strong willed so I'm sure I'll make it, it's just the feeling of not enjoying photography is what I'm scared of. I love it so much and I'd hate to get to the point that I wanna throw my camera! lol

I think I went for over a month without looking at my camera. Got burned out, sort of what you are saying.
I think it was when Garb posted about starting a 365 project that I got going again. Now I think about pictures all the time !

Who knows, I may get burned out again, but now I realize that my photography hobby is a lifelong thing. As in all lifelong things, there are seasons, ebbs and flows.
I guess my point is that you probably will never give up photography. Maybe for a time, but you will always come back to it. So don't worry. :))

You can also get the 1.4 in your wishlist! Such thin DOF wide open, and dim light environments will sure help out. I'm sure you could find things at your home to shoot. It gets quite creative.

When I first got my 1.4, I was shooting beer cans, wine bottles, pool balls, and other office supplies at my work. It was pretty cool to play with the aperture.
I've been thinking about it but my finger just hasn't pressed the buy button yet! :er: Thinkin maybe tonight lol

Try different lighting and settings. if every one hits a wall maybe 5 or 6 should get together and do one 360 blog, trade off. That way no one gets tired of it and wants to throw there camera, or takes pics of boring stuff.

The project 365 sounds like a pretty silly idea to me. Especially if you have a life in between taking photos. I work 12 hour shifts, you think I care about taking photos when I get home at 7am?

I think what would make more sense is a project 52 - take one GOOD photo a week. Roughly, no need to beat yourself up if you miss a week. 52 Good pictures is better than 365 uninspired ones.

Edit: I just realised that yesterday morning on my way home from work at 7am I stopped to take some photos of the sunrise... .twice. lol

I've often thought about doing my own 365 but as many have echoed, it's tough to fit it in somedays, and I would feel guilt about not doing on day 12 and that would end up with me feeling depressed about it altogether and probably not picking up the camera for weeks. My buddy and I had an exhibition of sorts on a 52 project. Over the course of several beers one night we composed a list of 52 topics/subjects. We intentionally left it rather vague for an opportunity of creativity. For instance some of the topics were: DoF, Water, b/w, hobbies, looking up, looking down, macro, selective color, etc. That was do-able but even still there are weeks when even that got to be a hassle. We were both kind of glad when it was over I think, but we did get some nice shots and I think we both increased our skill a little and it was cool to see such different ideas come out of the same topic. I've seen very few 365s that went to completion and only 1 that really blew me away where everyday had a frame-worthy image. I'll quit rambling now, just thought I'd share.

I've seen very few 365s that went to completion and only 1 that really blew me away where everyday had a frame-worthy image.
Dear God... really?! See that's my problem (in a good way I guess) I'm very stubborn and want to finish something when I set my mind to it. I think the 52 project is also a great idea but I thought that maybe since so much time passes in between the shots that I would forget more easily. Well, I just got my new lens so hopefully that will inspire me to get creative!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back