Jay Maisel on 'How to be a better photographer'

You constantly assume that, because you don't understand something or you don't know something or you didn't think of something, that it doesn't exist. Then you write these stream of consciousness things about what you think - as if you are inventing the entire world of photography.

You are the one who should get over yourself.

You constantly assume that, because you don't understand something or you don't know something or you didn't think of something, that it doesn't exist. Then you write these stream of consciousness things about what you think - as if you are inventing the entire world of photography.

You are the one who should get over yourself.
i started this 22 years ago. you should find someone that started this six months ago to feed this chit too. Granted, a lot i still dont know. But i know enough to throw most of what you say under the bus.. Unless, you actually have something you can actually teach me, that i find worthwhile. Unless that happens, i dont need the he said she said. Go find a new person, like a real new person. Like a fifteen year old that just bought his first camera.

Here's my take on Maisel: He, like Bresson and other greats use an 'artists eye', not a technical photographers eye. Bresson began as an artist painting and drawing, then moved into photography. In the early '70s he quit taking pictures and went back to drawing and painting. He states clearly that he was always foremost a painter, and drawer. Another current photographer of some re-known is Art Wolfe, who has the same background and often says that he is composing a 'painting' when he shoots, even shows comparisons sometimes. Adams was at the other end of the scale, he composed photographic shots, in fact his little group was formed for that specific purpose....they were master craftsmen, with superb eyes for composition. Notice that neither group spent much if any time trying to imitate paintings, or drawings: they spoke against such an approach. That they did similar compositions was due primarily to the fact that there are in reality a finite number of ways to compose realistic paintings, and photos.

Thiss thred is no place to begin a he's better, than her argument which is pointless at any time. The video clearly explains how the artist, and his eye approaches photography....and it does it clearly and succinctly in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back