JPG pictures damaged when saved on hard drive.

eriksen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
skap.jpg

This photo was sharp when I saved it a long time ago but after a longer time it turns out like this. This happens also with many other potos on my hard drive.

Are there anybody here who have experienced the same and know what the reason for this may be?

Hi there,
how did you find this image? Could it be that you used lightroom, etc. and that this is just a cached file. Sometimes these programs lose connection to the referenced file and you have to relink it. If you don´t, they only show you that cached file.

I would be interested in the outcome of this situation.

This is my own photo of an antique rosemaled item which I saved on my hard drive sefveral years ago.

It looks like over-compression to me, like the file was opened and re-saved several times or a small (thumbnail) that's been enlarged.

Looking at the size of the photo something is wrong. Either you saved wrong files in the first place or you are looking at cashed file as stated above. Computer will not and can not resize your pictures by itself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In the image posted we can see MCU's and individual pixels.
I agree with snowbear's comment in post #5.

MCU = Minimum Coded Units which is one of the ways JPEG compresses an image file
An MCU is a block of pixels that become the minimum unit that post production editing can manipulate.

JPEG is a lossy, compressed file type and every time a file is saved it gets compressed again, so I would agree with what snowbear said in post #5.

The file posted is 760 kb in file size and the image resolution is 1590 by 942 pixels, bigger than a thumbnail but not much image resolution for printing.

The print resolution is set to 720 ppi which would make a print 2.208 inches wide by 1.308 tall. At 300 ppi the print would be bigger - 5.3" x 3.14", but so would the pixels and MCU's.

Last edited:
I haven´t opened and saved it again in Photoshop, but maybe the computer does this by itself when I shut down and restart it, or when I copy many files to another hard drive? It looks better on pictures which are not saved with decreased quality on Photoshop.

Looks like the thumbnail version of the image! A few years back, I used to run prints off of a very expensive Kodak in-store printer, and for some reason, about 5% of images would print not from the main file--but from the thumbnail of the file. Are you saving the files with their file extension attached to them, such as Butterflypainting.JPG, or instead just Butterflypainting, with no file extension?

Windows PC issue, right? Have the files been moved from one directory to another?

When I save pictures, I never add jpg on the text. I thought it would be added automatically when I saved it in jpg format. Maybe that´s the reason?

I think it is always best to add the file name type: .JPG or .JPEG, .PSD, .TIF for Windows (Mac OS recognizes .TIF or .TIFF with two F's) and so on. it can help in a number of ways, such as searching external mdia or ecternal drives, and so on. Under older Macintosh OS protocols, every file has a hidden "resource fork" which identifies the file's creator (Adobe Photoshop, or Illustrator, or Capture One,etc) and also the file type, like .JPG, or .PSD file, or whatnot. That was, I think, the root of the issue that I experienced when I sent files I had edited in photoshop to the Koak printing-out machine, which was run under a non-Macintohs-OS system; while my macintioshj computers could read the hidden resource fork data, and "knew" the file creator application, and also the file's type, the Kodak printing machine had difficulties.

When I save pictures, I never add jpg on the text. I thought it would be added automatically when I saved it in jpg format. Maybe that´s the reason?
Eriksen, I don't eant to sound unpolite, but you need to answerall the questions people asked here, so we can help you better. Derrel for example asked you whether you moved the file from one location to another, and if you use Windows. I asked you how you found the file. Did you use lightroom or any other file management software? Those are important infos.

Eriksen, I don't eant to sound unpolite, but you need to answerall the questions people asked here, so we can help you better. Derrel for example asked you whether you moved the file from one location to another, and if you use Windows. I asked you how you found the file. Did you use lightroom or any other file management software? Those are important infos.
Yup, I think (as mentioned) OP is looking at the Thumbnail version of the file.
The full size one is located elsewhere. Start a search on file dates, research where the application you use store files (temporary, permanent, etc).

I have copied and saved the file and the directory where this file is stored to other hard drives many times. I use Windows and Photoshop Elements.

I have copied and saved the file and the directory where this file is stored to other hard drives many times. I use Windows and Photoshop Elements.

how large is the file size ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back