June 1st Photographers' Rights Protest in Los Angeles

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Anyone can make this ? Would be nice to see any local TPF'ers

-------------------------------------------------------------------
June 1st Photographers' Rights Protest in Los Angeles
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Photographers throughout Los Angeles will gather at the Hollywood and Highland Metro Station to peacefully protest against the unnecessary treatment they have received from security guards(particularly the white shirts), LAPD, and LASD while photographing in public places, and on the Metro.

Make signs, T-shirts, and be sure to bring your cameras(still and video). Sign ideas as well as other ideas should be posted here. We need things that will make us stand out as a cohesive group.

Start Time: 11:00am
Location: Hollywood and Highland, 6801 Hollywood Los Angeles, CA 90028

At about 1:30pm we will board the Metro and travel to Union Station

Start Time: 2:00pm

http://discarted.wordpress.com/

Forgive my ignorance; what sort of mis-treatment are talking about? I've photographed all over LA, as well as many other major US cities, and never had so much as a raised eyebrow from any sort of security or law-enforcement personnel.

Then count yourself lucky.
Many have been detained and harrassed illegally.
The information is out there, all over the web, google is your friend.

This thread is just to share the info for anyone who wants to come ; and a way for anyone to meetup there and say hello from TPF.

I dont think this thread is a good place to go over the legitamacy of the rally itself or debate security procedures. as this will spill into politics too quickly. There is no point to debate this.

If you dont see the need for the rally, please dont go.
Sorry if this is in the general discussion area, but the news area seems to be just for equipment news.
Just try to not make an argument , I just wanted to share the info...

If you are planning to go, please drop me a line, might be fun to meet up.

I have gotten accosted by various law enforcement people time and again in LA... if you haven't, you're lucky.

I have to say that the more formal the law enforcement agency, the better I got treated. Security dough-boys think they're SWAT, whereas LAPD have been professional and courteous. Nonetheless it gets tiresome to have to explain, and then ultimately "move along", every time I whip out a tripod.

This protest is a great idea, I wish I was there.

I have to say that the more formal the law enforcement agency, the better I got treated. Security dough-boys think they're SWAT, whereas LAPD have been professional and courteous.

That about sums it up. I'm from Israel, not a country that's unfamiliar with terrorism, and the same pattern developed here over time. Mall security, university campus security (armed with Uzis, mind you) are the ones who i get most problems from. My usual response is A - learn the law; B- leave me alone; C-call the police.
It ALWAYS gets to C, cause i never leave or stop taking pictures, and they're too proud to climb off the tree.

In which case i'm always checked out, and let go.

The ones i don't tend to mess with are the FBI and Secret Service equivalents(living in the capital you run into them alot) - these guys usually know what they're talking about, and if one of them tells you you shouldn't be taking pictures in a certain direction, you KNOW you shouldn't.
Then there is the motorized special unit of the police. These guys cruise around on a Kawasaki KLE in pairs, armed to the teeth, bullet in the chamber(s), and are trained to recognize a threat (usually a suicide bomber) and neutralize it in a few seconds. When they're not sure, though, is when it gets interesting - you get thrown against a wall, pinned down, your person and belongings are checked in like 1.5 seconds, and then they say "Sorry sir, here's a card, they'll help you if you need anything". That is in case they broke anything, or you, so you'd have someone to sue.

Go to the protest, guys. They need a reality check.

Then count yourself lucky.
Many have been detained and harrassed illegally.

What I don't get is why they think terrorists are going to be out there, subtle as a Drano enema, with tripods and SLRs, when all the information they can gain from that is probably already available on Flickr. Even if it isn't, they can get it much more covertly by "shooting blind" with a camera phone held to their ear.

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can get some pretty useful video or photos with the camera phone trick; I've used it a few times to document things while working security. It's interesting that people not only don't catch on that I'm moving to stay exactly 90 degrees from them, but that they think I'm so totally distracted by the fake conversation that I wouldn't notice them anyway.

I have to say that the more formal the law enforcement agency, the better I got treated. Security dough-boys think they're SWAT, whereas LAPD have been professional and courteous. Nonetheless it gets tiresome to have to explain, and then ultimately "move along", every time I whip out a tripod.

This pretty much describes the situation in Germany, France and the UK as well.

Wish I could make it for the protest, if it was the first of July there would have been a real chance, but not now :(

T
Wish I could make it to NYC for the protest, if it was the first of July there would have been a real chance, but not now :(

Did someone say NYC?? I can't make it to LA but NYC I definitely will be there. If it is a weekend, I"ll even take a day off.

But yes... If you can go, I strongly urge people to make a showing.

I'll probably go unless something comes up to keep me from it. It's only about 2 miles from where I live. I go there (hollywood/highland) sometimes just to shoot for fun anyway.

Did someone say NYC?? I can't make it to LA but NYC I definitely will be there. If it is a weekend, I"ll even take a day off.

But yes... If you can go, I strongly urge people to make a showing.

Bummer, I was confused! sorry ;) I was also planning to go to NYC at some point this year, but this was not about the protest.

I should think before I type, sorry ;)

Wow, I think I will check this out. I live east of LA and work in Santa Monica. Right around my neighborhood. This is the first time I've heard of the protest.

What I don't get is why they think terrorists are going to be out there, subtle as a Drano enema, with tripods and SLRs, when all the information they can gain from that is probably already available on Flickr. Even if it isn't, they can get it much more covertly by "shooting blind" with a camera phone held to their ear.

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can get some pretty useful video or photos with the camera phone trick; I've used it a few times to document things while working security. It's interesting that people not only don't catch on that I'm moving to stay exactly 90 degrees from them, but that they think I'm so totally distracted by the fake conversation that I wouldn't notice them anyway.

Wow, Mr. Bond. Where are you needing to do this?

Well I hope the protest goes well. I unfortunately cant drive over there for it. It seems that since 9/11 here the harassment in some places has bordered on rampant paranoia. If terrorists were taking pics for intel, they would most likely use a phone and, not be obvious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back