Just fired somebody...

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...and I am sitting here feeling like ****. I work for a doctor who was embezzled from last year, and last month we had to declare bankruptcy, and here I go - downsizing. Poor girl is a single parent with no prospects.

The world sucks right now. :cry:

Aw crap. That really sucks, terri.
*hugs*

They say the job market is picking up. I hope she'll be able to find something. Regardless, it's not your fault. Life just has these big roadbumps sometimes.

What is the deal with people embezzling from doctors offices? You wouldn't believe how many time I have heard that same story. Anyway
sorry your having a bad day Terri. :hug:

I hope the person that was doing the embezzling is resting comfortably in the crow bar hotel (jail).

What is the deal with people embezzling from doctors offices? You wouldn't believe how many time I have heard that same story.

It's mainly due to them being small businesses, where you hire a few key people and need to be able to trust them. If you trust the wrong person, and that person is the kind of scum who can smile into the eyes of the person she's robbing day after day......what are you gonna do, aside from wait till they slip up?

Thank you, btw. I still feel awful. She's working out the rest of the week and is being stoic about it. But still. I can barely meet my payroll and we're making the lawyers rich right now, while we work towards getting said thief behind bars. :x It's slow and painful.

I'm sorry you had to go through that terri. I can't imagine how it must feel to actually have to tell someone that they no longer have a job. :hug:

I hope everything works out for the doc office and things pick up, so you don't have to let anyone else go...

That sucks. Sorry you have to be the bearer of bad news. It's hard enough to let someone go when they deserve it let alone in these circumstances.

That's too bad Terri. I don't know if it'll help you or her feel much better, but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to offer her letter of recommendation or reference to help her find a new position quickly. It’s just a thought though. I’ve never been in your position so I really don't know what to do to make things easier.

Thanks, guys. :heart:

Well, she's working through the end of the week. I already told her to use me as a reference, and I told her to schedule any interview she can get this week, and we'll cover for her. She buzzed my office a while ago to tell me she had an interview with an agency at 1 today. So we're both feeling a little more positive. In, you know, a crappy kind of way. :?

It's hard to take your hands off of stuff like this, even knowing it's "just business". blah!

You all have been great, thanks for the kind words!!! :love:

I hope the girl is lucky!
I myself was thinking about quitting my job....haven't done yet because here in Portugal we're experiencing really bad times! the market is falling!
and i'm affraid

terri said:
...and I am sitting here feeling like s***. I work for a doctor who was embezzled from last year, and last month we had to declare bankruptcy, and here I go - downsizing. Poor girl is a single parent with no prospects.

Sorry for feeling bad... Look at it this way, you'll never know whether she'll land a job where she'll be lucky to have a better pay or whatever else. It could be a blessing in disguise after all.

I know it was a very hard thing to do but I don't think she will hold it against you.

Again, sorry for feeling bad.

yep, have to agree with mitica there, i think it's probably a blessing in disguise.

Poor girl is a single parent with no prospects.

Thats just a matter of perception, people are often alot more resilent and resourceful than given credit for :D

Anyways, it really does blow to fire someone, especially someone who doesn't deserve it. Just treat yourself to a lovely glass of wine and take some photos of graveyards, you'll feel alot better goth gurl ;)

terri said:
...and I am sitting here feeling like s***. I work for a doctor who was embezzled from last year, and last month we had to declare bankruptcy, and here I go - downsizing. Poor girl is a single parent with no prospects.

I can feel the deepest sympathy for you but having had to fire people during downsizing and also having been downsized myself I'll bet that you feel worse than she does.
It sounds as though she's got something going for her now so hopefully it won't be too bad.
Another thing to note is that the economy is recovering and employers are starting to hire again plus this is the best time of year to be looking for a job.
The big layoffs just before Christmas are the ones that are the worst.

mrsid99 said:
The big layoffs just before Christmas are the ones that are the worst.

Yeah my crapbag of a company did that Dec 7th 2002. The good news is they just re-hired the last of them this past week. So I guess I'll have to come up with a new name for them....maybe not.

terri said:

I would also like to say sorry about the situation. Firing someone is tough for both the boss and employee. Hopefully she gets that new job and hopefully that bastard who embezzled your office gets what he/she deserves.

Hang in there, Terri. That part of the job does suck! She sounds very motivated, though so will probably be just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back